Confusing Information

Squeven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am finally buying my first anemone soon!! I have read a lot of information on different websites about care, and all of it is different. So, I figured I would reach out in this forum for any recommendations or care tips. Tank is about 8 months old and parameters have been stable for a while.

32 Gallon Cube
AI Prime 16HD Lights
Two Jaebo SW2
2 Clown Fish
1 Diamond Goby
1 PJ Cardinal
1 Blue Mandarin
1 Firefish
A few soft corals
Moderate CUC

Parameters:
Sal - 1.025
AM - 0.0
Nitrate - 5
Nitrite - 0
Cal - 440
Alk - 12

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of anemone are you looking to get ?

OP
OP
Squeven

Squeven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have 2 Ocellaris clown fish.
I was thinking about a bubble tip anemone, or a rock flower if they would would fare better in my tank.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble tips are an easy anemone to keep as long you find a healthy nem, keep parameters stable, have proper lighting and don’t stress it out.
People say it’s better to get a clownfish a natural host but as your fist anemone I would go with the bubble tip and it may take from hours to months for the clownfish to find the anemone and start hosting
Rock flowers are also easy to care for but they don’t host any fish.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock Flower won’t sting all of your corals, but it also looks nothing like a BTA. You could always get both though.

Haddoni will eat your CUC constantly

Mag and Gig are “more” difficult to keep alive, but not terribly hard..... But an expensive risk for a new tank

LTAs I have no experience with, nor opinion on.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want this to be a mixed reef or an anemone focused tank? If mixed, I think you should look into the sand dwelling anemones as they won’t take as much real estate for other corals in the rocks.

Haddoni will eat your mandarin. Even a smaller one like a mini maxi could as well.

Heteractis Malu stay relatively small and are beautiful. Also come in purple variety.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am finally buying my first anemone soon!! I have read a lot of information on different websites about care, and all of it is different. So, I figured I would reach out in this forum for any recommendations or care tips. Tank is about 8 months old and parameters have been stable for a while.

32 Gallon Cube
AI Prime 16HD Lights
Two Jaebo SW2
2 Clown Fish
1 Diamond Goby
1 PJ Cardinal
1 Blue Mandarin
1 Firefish
A few soft corals
Moderate CUC

Parameters:
Sal - 1.025
AM - 0.0
Nitrate - 5
Nitrite - 0
Cal - 440
Alk - 12
Be extremely careful with your parameters with bubble tips and plan your flow, light, and rock structures for her to settle! If you don’t plan, she will wander anywhere from days to months finding a place to live happily. And remember if you do plan, she might hate it and move. I just had my nem which settled for a week up and move out of no where. I have both a forest fire bta and a rfa living together in harmony. Anemones rarely host anemones right away, it’s super annoying, but patience is a virtue in this hobby.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be extremely careful with your parameters with bubble tips and plan your flow, light, and rock structures for her to settle! If you don’t plan, she will wander anywhere from days to months finding a place to live happily. And remember if you do plan, she might hate it and move. I just had my nem which settled for a week up and move out of no where. I have both a forest fire bta and a rfa living together in harmony. Anemones rarely host anemones right away, it’s super annoying, but patience is a virtue in this hobby.
But they are BEAUTIFUL and I would recommend a bta!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back