Confusion with cycle

I can think of several reasons why nitrate did not show when you dosed ammonia, and IMO, it reflect the problems of using nitrate as a gauge of cycling. Simple consumption and incorporation of the N into bacteria and other microorganisms and algae could explain why a few ppm ammonia didn't result in nitrate. :)
So if I’m understanding you correctly, the original ammonia was processed, but that nitrate was consumed by other microorganisms, rather than just staying in the water?
 
So if I’m understanding you correctly, the original ammonia was processed, but that nitrate was consumed by other microorganisms, rather than just staying in the water?

That is one possible explanation, although it need not be by "other" microorganisms. Expanding populations of any bacteria require that they incorporate N into their new tissues.

Test error is another possibility. :)
 
That is one possible explanation, although it need not be by "other" microorganisms. Expanding populations of any bacteria require that they incorporate N into their new tissues.

Test error is another possibility. :)
Yeah test error was my first thought, that’s why I figured I should have an lfs test too, just to make sure I’m not reading it incorrectly. Tests that involve color comparison (so practically every consumer-level test kit outside of Hanna and controller probe readings) are a great challenge for me lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new