Conjoined twin seahorse birth

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fascinating and I can't think of any reef related post since 1999 that shocks me as much
you do not see them live or in reef posts :) :)

The fewer major organs they share the more chance of survival and even being able to absorb and metabolise an egg sac together after incomplete division speaks really well of chances.

Living past 48 hours = amazing. biological interest post #1 2017. In my opinion the next most important marker is the ability to produce whole waste pellets whenever that happens for sygnathid infants, they may be on egg sac rations still, not sure. I know instances of this occurS across animals and for 299$ one can buy the turtle version...but am thinking actually rearing one / worldwide news worthy.

Last edited:

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As he fights like a champ, I deceived to put some champion hitching posts for him to practice his coordination skills

IMG_4446.JPG

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad they made it thru the night
Yeah but they are far from being out of the woods... after a week I will consider they have a real chance to live...
I m prepared to a sudden death anytime

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worldwide viral if you get past six months called it

Wouldn't be able to sleep much if that landed in my tank. Be too busy researching whatever those like and doing it gentler, more frequent and with more sustain and attention than ever.

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wouldn't be able to sleep much if that landed in my tank. Be too busy researching whatever those like and doing it gentler, more frequent and with more sustain and attention than ever.
Each day, the goal is to make that fry wake up to another day.
Sadly I discovered today in the adult tank nasty hydroids. Never had them before and it had to happen now...
So, as the water of the whole batch is from parents tank, I expect a stupid loss...
Happily, Dan from seahorse source brought me this afternoon some Panacur.
Can t tell how grateful I am... he is an amazing real passionate seahorse lover, always willing to help and generous with adviced and I guess one of the most knowledgeable breeder in the USA.
Adults/youngsters and fry are all treated with Panacur now.
Hope I will not lost any fry due to hydroids.
I think I might have introduced them with zooplankton last time I put some...

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I might come look like 20 times a day ;Nailbiting
Looks like you r much more exited than me about this twins seahorse.
I just try to keep in mind that the chances or surviving are very very small...
Even less than 6 months would be amazing. They can breed at 3/4 months old. They are dwarfs seahorses and they have a short livespan compared to bigger species like erectus, reidi and others.

Back