connecting pvc pipe to ABS fitting ..

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI
I just used oateys pvc cement + primer to connect pvc pipe to a abs fitting (i would have used a pvc fitting, but in this case it would have been to small of a diameter, so I needed to use the ABS). it's only been a few mins, but it seems secure.
Should I unscrew it and use a new abs connector and some other special cemeent to join the two abs+PVC?
TY!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI
I just used oateys pvc cement + primer to connect pvc pipe to a abs fitting (i would have used a pvc fitting, but in this case it would have been to small of a diameter, so I needed to use the ABS). it's only been a few mins, but it seems secure.
Should I unscrew it and use a new abs connector and some other special cemeent to join the two abs+PVC?
TY!
There is special ABS to PVC cement for slip joints....

You then mentioned unscrewing....

If you have a threaded coupler and pipe, all you need is pipe thread dope/paste on the pipe to make the threaded connection sealed.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is special ABS to PVC cement for slip joints....

You then mentioned unscrewing....

If you have a threaded coupler and pipe, all you need is pipe thread dope/paste on the pipe to make the threaded connection sealed.
I meant undo it lol. as if I didnt do anythign, new pipe and new fitting. I'd use: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-4-oz-ABS-to-PVC-Transition-Cement-309003/100344275 or https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-8-oz-Medium-Milky-All-Purpose-ABS-CPVC-PVC-Cement-308213/100116580 ? which?
TIA! i'm finaly about to finish// been putting off for months my first piping of a tank.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there is combo glue just make sure you rough up the pipe and inside of the fitting using grit cloth or sand paper before applying the glue.

Indymann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oateys GREEN, and you dont use primer on the ABS bulkhead, only on the PVC pipe.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back