Considering a new tank... Community Input?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering buying a new tank, every tank I've ever had, with the exception of my daughter's 32.5G we just bought, has been used. I am considering either a Red Sea Reefer XL 300, or a FijiCube EXT 81G (Pre-Order, releases in January). I'm looking for something as close to 36"x24"x24" as possible without going over those dimensions. Unfortunately, they don't seem to make any Peninsula-style tanks in those dimensions, but that's what I would prefer. Anyways, looking for feedback from RedSea and FijiCube owners, or anyone else who has any suggestions, I'm trying to stay under $2000 for tank, stand, and sump.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a tslot aluminum stand, tank and sump of your choice and be forever happy!!!

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a tslot aluminum stand, tank and sump of your choice and be forever happy!!!
You mean an aluminum extrusion stand? I'd have to measure, cut, and build myself right? The problem really comes down to the dimensions of the actual tank, not so much the stand. 36x24x24 is a hard dimension to find for some reason, and no matter where I go for that size tank, when I add a sump it comes pretty close to the cost with the stand...

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the aluminum t-slot stand but couldn't wrap my head around the cost. For my 90g stand it was going to be over $1K just in materials before shipping. Maybe I was not looking in the right place though.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean an aluminum extrusion stand? I'd have to measure, cut, and build myself right? The problem really comes down to the dimensions of the actual tank, not so much the stand. 36x24x24 is a hard dimension to find for some reason, and no matter where I go for that size tank, when I add a sump it comes pretty close to the cost with the stand...
For just a few hundred $ over the cost of the glass you can have a custom made tank to any specs you want. I recently had this 90g made and couldn't be happier. Can ask around your local club forum or contact someone national like Glass Cages.

Attachments

• custom 90g.jpg
    custom 90g.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For just a few hundred $ over the cost of the glass you can have a custom made tank to any specs you want. I recently had this 90g made and couldn't be happier. Can ask around your local club forum or contact someone national like Glass Cages.
Unfortunately, I don't have a local reef club, for some reason, it seems all of the Kansas City ones that have tried to start have failed or are not active anymore. And I did the glass cages route, this was the quote without a stand So going with the Fiji (closest to those specs just not peninsula) seems to be a better buy, just by virtue of coming with a stand, plumbing, and having free shipping:

1640640049168.png

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the aluminum t-slot stand but couldn't wrap my head around the cost. For my 90g stand it was going to be over $1K just in materials before shipping. Maybe I was not looking in the right place though.
I got mine from alufab and I think there’s cheaper stands out there, but for my 150 I just completed, the stand was 845, and has big leveling feet that help me sleep at night totally worth it

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want a peninsula in those exact dimensions then have it built for you. Yes it cost a few hundred bucks more and in a few months when you have the exact thank you want, for a decade. That extra money will be seen well spent.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages

the quality of a custom tank is far superior to anything off the shelf. See what Joe says for stand options/package

I had a custom aluminum stand built for my 300 by Framingtech and was cheaper than any other option out there.

14228402-61DA-4BF1-A9E5-79209D814EF3.jpeg

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want a peninsula in those exact dimensions then have it built for you. Yes it cost a few hundred bucks more and in a few months when you have the exact thank you want, for a decade. That extra money will be seen well spent.
This will not be my forever tank... I'm probably moving again in 2-3 years... I will drop my money on a custom tank when I build a house... for now, I'd like a larger manageable tank, hence the FijiCube and RedSea options and me wanting to keep the price under 2 grand.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rsr250 about 2 years old.

I Like the tank, I dislike the system.

The built in ATO is about useless, plenum valve where a gate valve should be, metric pipes, and a terribly designed sump.

I would Never buy the red Sea system. The tank is very nice though

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ApoIsland thanks for the support and mention. Truly appreciated.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages

the quality of a custom tank is far superior to anything off the shelf. See what Joe says for stand options/package

I had a custom aluminum stand built for my 300 by Framingtech and was cheaper than any other option out there.

14228402-61DA-4BF1-A9E5-79209D814EF3.jpeg
thanks @Hydrored appreciate the support. thats one of my favorite pictures!

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I don't have a local reef club, for some reason, it seems all of the Kansas City ones that have tried to start have failed or are not active anymore. And I did the glass cages route, this was the quote without a stand So going with the Fiji (closest to those specs just not peninsula) seems to be a better buy, just by virtue of coming with a stand, plumbing, and having free shipping:

1640640049168.png
@JNalley thanks for sharing. Glass Cages may or may not be a fit and thats ok. you have many options. FIJI makes great tanks. we are more of a custom fabrication organization vs off the shelf solution. Thats ok. you have to find the best fit for you and your family.

Below is a list of Aquarium manufactures. You have many options to explore. I am sure I may have missed a few. Totally not intentional.

1. Coast 2 Coast
2. Reef Savvy
3. Miracles Aquariums
4. Titan
5. Concept Aquariums
6. Crystal Dynamics
7. Planet Aquariums
8. Advanced Acrylics
9. Midwest Custom Aquarium
10. Fish Tanks Direct
11. Custom Aquariums
12. Acrylic Tank Manufacturing
13. Tank Me USA
14. Crystal Reef Aquatics
15. Aqueon
16. Glass Cages
17. SCA
18. Acrylic Glass Exhibits
19. GEO
20. Elos
21. Exotic Aquariums
22. Waterbox
23. Cade
24. Innovative Marine
25. Reef Octopus
26. Zero Edge
27. Redsea
28. Sheman Tanks
29. ELOS
30. New Level Tanks
31. The Aquarium King
32. Fish Traps
33. Splash Box Creations
34. Aquarium Marketing

The best choice is your choice. Take your time and enjoy the process.

if you need help or support, let us know. even if you select a different builder. all good.

YNWA97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering buying a new tank, every tank I've ever had, with the exception of my daughter's 32.5G we just bought, has been used. I am considering either a Red Sea Reefer XL 300, or a FijiCube EXT 81G (Pre-Order, releases in January). I'm looking for something as close to 36"x24"x24" as possible without going over those dimensions. Unfortunately, they don't seem to make any Peninsula-style tanks in those dimensions, but that's what I would prefer. Anyways, looking for feedback from RedSea and FijiCube owners, or anyone else who has any suggestions, I'm trying to stay under $2000 for tank, stand, and sump.
Love my red sea tank, sump is perfect for my needs and stand is well constructed, only thing that I would note is the ATO as the valve gets easily clogged somehow even with nothing in it but water and this is somewhat annoying but not a deal breaker and can easily be replaced with a different ato. A lot of people also replace the down valve with a gate valve but I haven't had any issues with the stock one.

Back