Considering changing salt mix

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last I checked Lou, you're not the mod of this forum, so you don't get to tell people to be quiet. I'm pretty sure that this is a direct violation of the sponsor rules.

There are a bunch of ICP results from this thread (https://bostonreefers.org/forums/in...o-reef-issues-condensed-threads.176403/page-4) and many others showing readable arsenic. There are threads on reefs.org, there are threads on nanoreef. I've seen others.

Maybe, rather than continuing to gaslight people about problems, you guys should start trying to fix them?
You're right @92Miata, I am not the mod of this forum, and I don't want to violate any sponsor rules. You should keep posting whatever you want. I will just encourage people to read through your thread references fully and carefully.

I am very proud of the way Tropic Marin has stepped up to replace all of the Pro-Reef salt, manufactured in our facility in Turkey, that people have. It was the most comprehensive way for us to stand by our product. It is the absolute antithesis of "gaslighting"!

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right @92Miata, I am not the mod of this forum, and I don't want to violate any sponsor rules. You should keep posting whatever you want. I will just encourage people to read through your thread references fully and carefully.

I am very proud of the way Tropic Marin has stepped up to replace all of the Pro-Reef salt, manufactured in our facility in Turkey, that people have. It was the most comprehensive way for us to stand by our product. It is the absolute antithesis of "gaslighting"!
I don't know what the heck you're proud of.

There were frequent reports of issues with the Turkish salt by early summer of last year. I'd guess there have been problems the entire time the Turkish plant was open. You, and your company, and BRS, for many months told people "There's nothing wrong with the salt" followed by "it's just a bit of harmless clay" before finally, a full recall.

Here's you, telling people everything is fine after someone mentioned issues, a full 6 months before public sentiment got bad enough that you had to recall. I will also point out that you posted 39 times on that forum over a 19 year period - and posted multiple times in a local club thread where someone mentioned a TM issue 6 months before the recall.

Absolutely nothing to be proud of here.

louekus.PNG

Last edited:

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used reef aquarium system instant ocean salt since setting up my aquarium a year ago, never had any problems in regards to life in my aquarium, this has been quite cheap for me at around £42 per 20kg
(Refill bags) free delivery over £50 so great opportunity to buy other items :)

(Your current salt) I have recently purchased reef crystals which is about £6 more per 20kg as I thought maybe something more beneficial for the future life of my aquarium

I was unaware of the above posts/ situation in regards to salt as I have always used the same brand from reputable business (charterhouse aquatics) in UK, deffenitly something to be mindful of as I never thought salt could be a contaminant.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean the salt that killed a ton of tanks this and last year because of very obvious contamination? The one that the manufacturer claimed was fine for a year and finally recalled because public sentiment was so bad? The one where contamination wasn't possible because they use all 'pharmaceutical grade ingredients'? That one? The one where people have been getting german buckets with high arsenic?

Nobody should be recommending Tropic Marin at this point.
But it sez "Pro" on the bucket.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what the heck you're proud of.

There were frequent reports of issues with the Turkish salt by early summer of last year. I'd guess there have been problems the entire time the Turkish plant was open. You, and your company, and BRS, for many months told people "There's nothing wrong with the salt" followed by "it's just a bit of harmless clay" before finally, a full recall.

Here's you, telling people everything is fine after someone mentioned issues, a full 6 months before public sentiment got bad enough that you had to recall. I will also point out that you posted 39 times on that forum over a 19 year period - and posted multiple times in a local club thread where someone mentioned a TM issue 6 months before the recall.

Absolutely nothing to be proud of here.

louekus.PNG
I understand that you are angry. I also understand your point. However, it also seems to be true, that nothing I say is going to change your mind or satisfy you at this point. So I will state the following, and then end my contribution to this argument. Not because I'm frustrated. Just because it makes no sense to keep going over these same points just to get criticized again. Keeping this back and forth going serves no one. You will have your say and comments about what I am about to say below. But don't take my silence as avoidance. It is really just because I don't see the point to keep it going.
I said I was proud of how our company handled this situation because throughout this issue I was always encouraged to do my best to convey the most current and most accurate information that I had at the time. The quote you posted from me in you comment should have said "the same grade of raw materials" not "the same raw materials". Other than that, the post is accurate. I have always done my best to respond to voiced concerns. I have not hidden or avoided, and I have always done my best to do what I can to help, no matter what that has meant for me personally. Once I knew that the salt was not the cause of anyone's issues, I spent many hours with many hobbyists helping them figure out what the issue might be that was annoying their corals. A careful reading of the most vocal complainers issues will yield much information about their specific situations. Enough said about that.
I'm also proud of Tropic Marin for stepping up to replace all of this salt, even before our testing was completed. And then to continue to replace the salt, even after our testing had definitively shown no ill effects on corals from this salt. I am always avaiable to help people diagnose and fix issues in their systems. I frequently post both my email and phone number.
I'm not sure what your comment about my 39 posts over 19 years means. If it is too much, then maybe I should post less. If you feel it is too little, maybe I should post more. Or maybe I am doing what I can to try to help. Either way, I'm sure you are not happy with Tropic Marin, so I'll stop defending and accept your criticism as helpful advice and suggestions for moving forward.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that you are angry. I also understand your point. However, it also seems to be true, that nothing I say is going to change your mind or satisfy you at this point. So I will state the following, and then end my contribution to this argument. Not because I'm frustrated. Just because it makes no sense to keep going over these same points just to get criticized again. Keeping this back and forth going serves no one. You will have your say and comments about what I am about to say below. But don't take my silence as avoidance. It is really just because I don't see the point to keep it going.
I said I was proud of how our company handled this situation because throughout this issue I was always encouraged to do my best to convey the most current and most accurate information that I had at the time. The quote you posted from me in you comment should have said "the same grade of raw materials" not "the same raw materials". Other than that, the post is accurate. I have always done my best to respond to voiced concerns. I have not hidden or avoided, and I have always done my best to do what I can to help, no matter what that has meant for me personally. Once I knew that the salt was not the cause of anyone's issues, I spent many hours with many hobbyists helping them figure out what the issue might be that was annoying their corals. A careful reading of the most vocal complainers issues will yield much information about their specific situations. Enough said about that.
I'm also proud of Tropic Marin for stepping up to replace all of this salt, even before our testing was completed. And then to continue to replace the salt, even after our testing had definitively shown no ill effects on corals from this salt. I am always avaiable to help people diagnose and fix issues in their systems. I frequently post both my email and phone number.
I'm not sure what your comment about my 39 posts over 19 years means. If it is too much, then maybe I should post less. If you feel it is too little, maybe I should post more. Or maybe I am doing what I can to try to help. Either way, I'm sure you are not happy with Tropic Marin, so I'll stop defending and accept your criticism as helpful advice and suggestions for moving forward.

I'm not angry - I just don't trust you - because you have a history of lying about this issue, and are lying in this very post. Your suggestion that this is about emotion is childish.

You were made aware of the issue almost a year before recalling a faulty product, and continued to kill people's reef tanks, and tell people there was no issue. No amount of dissembling changes that fact.

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched for IO to multiple other brands looking for something that mixed cleaner and still gave my reef what it needed. Ended up with tropic Marin mainly because I never have to clean my mix tanks any more. I do auto water changes as well and the lines would build up that brown sludge on them and in them with instant ocean. The clean lines looked worse than the dirty lines after a few months. I have been using tropic Marin for over a year and never have to clean any of it. Not having to clean all that equipment all the time is worth every penny to me. However if I was just mixing in brutes still and doing manual water changes I don’t think I would pay up for salt.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched for IO to multiple other brands looking for something that mixed cleaner and still gave my reef what it needed. Ended up with tropic Marin mainly because I never have to clean my mix tanks any more. I do auto water changes as well and the lines would build up that brown sludge on them and in them with instant ocean. The clean lines looked worse than the dirty lines after a few months. I have been using tropic Marin for over a year and never have to clean any of it. Not having to clean all that equipment all the time is worth every penny to me. However if I was just mixing in brutes still and doing manual water changes I don’t think I would pay up for salt.
This was one of the main reasons I switched to TMPR salt too however the last few buckets I have used have now started leaving brown residue in my mixing container.

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was one of the main reasons I switched to TMPR salt too however the last few buckets I have used have now started leaving brown residue in my mixing container.
That would definitely make me change again if I see that. I haven’t yet though. I did like HW Marinemix as well and same success with it but they kept running out of stock and is why I finally switched to Tropic Marin

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would definitely make me change again if I see that. I haven’t yet though. I did like HW Marinemix as well and same success with it but they kept running out of stock and is why I finally switched to Tropic Marin
I'm hitting the Redsea Blue bucket for a while to see how that goes. Far better for where I run my tank parameter-wise, cheaper and gets good results from what I have seen. If TM gets whatever this issue is sorted out I will gladly try them again at a later date but... if I see excellent results from this salt change with a little bit of residue in my mixing container it may be hard to give it up considering I am having poor results and dirty containers right now...

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's that time to buy more salt, and considering changing mixes. Ive always used Instant Ocean(Reef Crystals currently). It's never let me down before, but I keep seeing great things said about other mixes. My question; to those of you that have switched mixes before, did you notice any benefit? If so, from which brand to which?
I use red blue bucket I been happy with it only salt I ever used

adobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lou,

I don't know why you bother with this stuff. There is sufficient critical mass of members in this forum that you will find plenty of people being loud about nothing burgers. Here is what I personally know to be true:

- I have been interacting with you since before 1999 over the phone. Never once have you been anything but thorough and professional
- Tropic Marin has never done anything except provide the best products they knew how. Do you have issues from time to time? Sure. Its because no matter how hard the company tries, nobody is perfect.
- I do not for one second believe that other salt manufacturers do not have similar type issues. All I know is, only one has ever stepped up to tackle the issue head on. Only one.

My only beef with you is this - because of all the whining you are subject to in this forum (infested by people who have nothing better to do but to try and crucify people who are trying to do the right thing), you have gone underground and have stopped participating in other forums.

Despite all the loud people, know that many appreciate all your efforts in what can only have been an incredibly difficult time. The loud people are usually the irrational few. Those who are rational usually don't spend a lot of time in threads like this. We have better things to do.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou,

I don't know why you bother with this stuff. There is sufficient critical mass of members in this forum that you will find plenty of people being loud about nothing burgers. Here is what I personally know to be true:

- I have been interacting with you since before 1999 over the phone. Never once have you been anything but thorough and professional
- Tropic Marin has never done anything except provide the best products they knew how. Do you have issues from time to time? Sure. Its because no matter how hard the company tries, nobody is perfect.
- I do not for one second believe that other salt manufacturers do not have similar type issues. All I know is, only one has ever stepped up to tackle the issue head on. Only one.

My only beef with you is this - because of all the whining you are subject to in this forum (infested by people who have nothing better to do but to try and crucify people who are trying to do the right thing), you have gone underground and have stopped participating in other forums.

Despite all the loud people, know that many appreciate all your efforts in what can only have been an incredibly difficult time. The loud people are usually the irrational few. Those who are rational usually don't spend a lot of time in threads like this. We have better things to do.
Thank you for the kind words. I will do my best to "resurface" as best I can. :)

Orito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just out of curiosity and sorry if I missed the information somewhere, if there's nothing wrong with the turkish salt, why TM replaced the batch and closed the facility?

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just out of curiosity and sorry if I missed the information somewhere, if there's nothing wrong with the turkish salt, why TM replaced the batch and closed the facility?
Simply because it takes months to do a true test of this kind of issue, unless something really obvious shows up in ICP testing, which did not. Tropic Marin made the decision, out of an abundance of concern and commitment to our customers and the animals they keep, to start the replacement and stop manufacturing in that facility, before our testing was completed. Now that the testing is completed, we have also made the decision, since we are so far into the replacement program, that we would follow it to conclusion, even though our testing has shown nothing that would negatively effect coral health. With public opinion being what it is, and the way that hole influence works, it doesn't seem wise to now start telling people that we were replacing your salt before, but are not doing that anymore.

I hope this makes sense and answers your question.

Orito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply because it takes months to do a true test of this kind of issue, unless something really obvious shows up in ICP testing, which did not. Tropic Marin made the decision, out of an abundance of concern and commitment to our customers and the animals they keep, to start the replacement and stop manufacturing in that facility, before our testing was completed. Now that the testing is completed, we have also made the decision, since we are so far into the replacement program, that we would follow it to conclusion, even though our testing has shown nothing that would negatively effect coral health. With public opinion being what it is, and the way that hole influence works, it doesn't seem wise to now start telling people that we were replacing your salt before, but are not doing that anymore.

I hope this makes sense and answers your question.
ok, can you share the tests results?

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, can you share the tests results?
I'm not sure I know what you are looking for in the way of results. As I have said, nothing showed up in either mass spectrometry to electron microscopy. The thing that took the time was testing batch after batch in live comparative test tanks. In those tests, also nothing came up as remarkable or detrimental to coral or fish health. There was just nothing detrimental that we were able to find in any kind of testing.

Orito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I know what you are looking for in the way of results. As I have said, nothing showed up in either mass spectrometry to electron microscopy. The thing that took the time was testing batch after batch in live comparative test tanks. In those tests, also nothing came up as remarkable or detrimental to coral or fish health. There was just nothing detrimental that we were able to find in any kind of testing.
You see, this way other people will say the salt killed their corals and you'll say it wasn't the salt, but none show the proof. I believe probably have a ton of data from lots of tests, why not make it available? I won't understand a thing, but I'm sure there are many people here who will. If there's nothing detrimental, making this info available is the best for everyone stop this discussion

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You see, this way other people will say the salt killed their corals and you'll say it wasn't the salt, but none show the proof. I believe probably have a ton of data from lots of tests, why not make it available? I won't understand a thing, but I'm sure there are many people here who will. If there's nothing detrimental, making this info available is the best for everyone stop this discussion
People will always have something to say. We have tested hundreds of batches. If we post ICP results, those people will say THIS is a good batch, what about all the others. If we show the pictures of the tanks with great looking corals doing water changes each week with salt from the facility in Turkey, they will say, those tanks are fine and TM is just posting great looking corals showing nothing about the salt manufactured in Turkey. The bottom line is that nothing has shown up in any of our testing that would negatively influence the health of corals or fish. I really don't want to get into a posting war of he said, she said, they said. The people that trust our brand, it's long scientific history and it's approach to this issue, will trust that what we say is what we have found. We will never be able to convince, no matter what we post, the people who do not trust or believe us. I really want to give the most accurate information I can and not get into that kind of posting war. It never leads to a resolution. I hope that is understandable and makes sense.

Orito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People will always have something to say. We have tested hundreds of batches. If we post ICP results, those people will say THIS is a good batch, what about all the others. If we show the pictures of the tanks with great looking corals doing water changes each week with salt from the facility in Turkey, they will say, those tanks are fine and TM is just posting great looking corals showing nothing about the salt manufactured in Turkey. The bottom line is that nothing has shown up in any of our testing that would negatively influence the health of corals or fish. I really don't want to get into a posting war of he said, she said, they said. The people that trust our brand, it's long scientific history and it's approach to this issue, will trust that what we say is what we have found. We will never be able to convince, no matter what we post, the people who do not trust or believe us. I really want to give the most accurate information I can and not get into that kind of posting war. It never leads to a resolution. I hope that is understandable and makes sense.
very sorry that this is your position, make you look very like another brand that said would prove their product was only bacteria...

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back