Considering changing salt mix

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 tanks running and used at least 2 full boxes of the Turkey ones that were replaced. I never saw any I’ll effects on any of my tanks. I was close to panicking and doing massive water changes that would likely have caused some issues. Instead I just kept an eye on everything and no noticeable issues. Even if I would have had some sort of issues it would have been hard to finger point at the salt. I’m always changing something as I continue to learn from the hobby and what works and what doesn’t. i can’t help but wonder how many people are like me making changes a lot and read about the salt issue and just automatically blamed the salt for any issues.

PbMan26

Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Tropic Marin for awhile now. I had much salt from Turkey last year and I did notice some brown residue in the mix container but i had no ill effects. I still choose to use Tropic Marin today and my latest mixes have been from Germany. That product is as clean mixing and consistent as they've usually been.

Jimmy's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's that time to buy more salt, and considering changing mixes. Ive always used Instant Ocean(Reef Crystals currently). It's never let me down before, but I keep seeing great things said about other mixes. My question; to those of you that have switched mixes before, did you notice any benefit? If so, from which brand to which?

adobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don't know, maybe because when you have a result there are means to see if it's real or not, a serious test in this case would be made by an independence laboratory not by the own company. The risk of posting a fake test and get caught lying is so big that I believe for them is better not post anything. Do you think that a test showing nothing wouldn't be posted?
Elvis is dead, the earth is round, I took 3 COVID shots, I'm not conspiracionist, I'm a simple a consumer

This is just silliness. It's like asking someone to give you proof that they do not beat their dog. No matter what proof they put forward, there will always be a way to argue that their proof is not definitive.

Either you believe they acted in good faith or you don't. Let's stop pretending that their is a way to convince that they did if you are already convinced that they didn't.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see the mods deleted all the posts with links to threads showing people reporting the issue early last summer, and Tropic Marin asserting everything is fine.

Sponsors always come first.

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm not angry - I just don't trust you - because you have a history of lying about this issue, and are lying in this very post. Your suggestion that this is about emotion is childish.

You were made aware of the issue almost a year before recalling a faulty product, and continued to kill people's reef tanks, and tell people there was no issue. No amount of dissembling changes that fact.
And recalling and replacing buckets DOES NOT EQUAL loss of livestock! Not even close.

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there's plenty of salt in this thread!

People are often very particular about their salt. This isn't an uncommon story though.

I know someone who contacted Spectrum Brands about IO last year. They said their batch resulted in high ammonia. Spectrum said they could not confirm this quality issue in testing and rejected the claim.

Someone else has noticed high lithium and selenium in their Crystal Sea salt over the past year. They believe it's harming their organisms and they may be right. Sent the ICP to MEI (the manufacturer) and they said it must be the source water or the system that's causing it. They could not confirm with testing and rejected the claim. This person is currently testing other brands.

A former boss at a LFS once swore by mixing 50/50 IO with Red Sea Coral Pro. He said the Red Sea had too many nutrients and IO had too few.

And who hasn't heard a story about IO being too low in x or y? It's still the brand I use because it's more of a blank slate. I can boost whatever I want with dosing.

Sounds like Tropic Marin went through something all-too-common in the industry. They were assured that the ingredients met their standards, and when they didn't they found out through the hobbyists. They listened to the claims and made changes, although initially they probably had the same attitude of "That isn't the case, our salt is of the highest quality". Tanks can be so subjective and hobbyists kill animals in many ways they don't understand (we all are/were guilty of ignorance at some point). All you can really do is move forward and try to fix it. Listening to consumers is important, and better late than never.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 48.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back