Water changes - Salt mix with high dkh

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dkh around 8.7 on average. I'm using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, which have a dkh of 11.2 or so. So whenever I do a water change, it changes the dkh value from 8.7 to 10.8.

How can I minimize or mitigate this dkh fluctuation from water changes, which the mixed replacement salt water has a different dkh than the tank water?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a salt mix that matches the parameters you aim to keep in your tank. That's far the easiest way if you want to avoid these swings.

Different mixes have different compositions. I has Tropic Marin Pro Reef with alk around 7.5-8.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dkh around 8.7 on average. I'm using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, which have a dkh of 11.2 or so. So whenever I do a water change, it changes the dkh value from 8.7 to 10.8.

How can I minimize or mitigate this dkh fluctuation from water changes, which the mixed replacement salt water has a different dkh than the tank water?
I don’t believe that’s possible unless you are changing a very large percentage of water.

Either buy a lower alk salt, or use an acid to reduce the alkalinity in the mix prior to using it.

Sodium bisulfate: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...in-new-salt-water-or-in-display-tanks.362825/

Muriatic acid: container size in gallons x dKH drop x .123= mL of muriatic acid to be dosed.

When using either acid, you need to heavily aerate the container for a day to bring back up the pH.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you're doing a 10% water change, the effect on your tanks alkalinity using the 11.2 dKh water would only be 0.25dKh - raising your tank to about 9dKh

It would only be 0.5dKh even if you performed a 20% water change.

Either change will not bother anything in the tank, as most tanks vary by more than that over a 24 hour period.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back