Considering changing salt mix

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from redsea blue bucket to reef crystals for the two simple facts: RC is almost always on sale somewhere and if it’s good enough for Jason Fox, why am I spending an arm and leg on Red Sea when the inflation rate is killing everyone as it is?

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very sorry that this is your position, make you look very like another brand that said would prove their product was only bacteria...
I don't agree that this is the case. Especially in light of our replacing everything for everyone! Not a fair comparison in my opinion. But I will leave this here because we are getting into that he said, they said thing that I don't think serves anyone's purpose. I will say that I am sorry you feel that way.

Orito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree that this is the case. Especially in light of our replacing everything for everyone! Not a fair comparison in my opinion. But I will leave this here because we are getting into that he said, they said thing that I don't think serves anyone's purpose. I will say that I am sorry you feel that way.
yes, fair point, still no data to back your alegations of "no problem"

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cartoon Popcorn GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

@Lou Ekus Vs EVERYONE
GO!

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean the salt that killed a ton of tanks this and last year because of very obvious contamination? The one that the manufacturer claimed was fine for a year and finally recalled because public sentiment was so bad? The one where contamination wasn't possible because they use all 'pharmaceutical grade ingredients'? That one? The one where people have been getting german buckets with high arsenic?

Nobody should be recommending Tropic Marin at this point.
Sorry this is an old post and I’m getting a little off track from the questions, but could you or anyone else elaborate on this? I’m not disagreeing, I’m just really curious. I inherited 2 buckets of tropic Marin when I started my tank about a year or so ago, and I’m getting close to needing new salt. What issues was this actually causing with tanks? I had been out of reefing for a while but last I heard they were a good brand. If they’re actually causing some severe problems I definitely want to avoid it.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You don't trust what he is saying but you would trust an ICP test that he would post? That doesn't make sense.

I don't really have a dog in this fight but Hans-Werner has done more for this hobby than perhaps anyone else. His company deserves a bit of slack on this.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to?
No, but you are going pretty hard on a social media rep that has zero to do with quality control and only says what he is told he can say regardless of what truth he knows about the product. He says anything otherwise and he no longer has a job, he doesn’t defend his company he no longer has a job….nothing else he can do. The higher ups of tropic marin know there is a problem, know there has been a problem for a while and are finally deciding to do something about it. Imo, you don’t do a mass recall if there is truly no problem with the product. I think they are hiding something but we will never know. I’ve never used TM, but my buddy just got back an icp test with arsenic in the results, so there is some truth in the matter and I do not disagree with you, just don’t see the point in chewing up their media rep when there’s jack he can do because obviously TM doesn’t care.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this is an old post and I’m getting a little off track from the questions, but could you or anyone else elaborate on this? I’m not disagreeing, I’m just really curious. I inherited 2 buckets of tropic Marin when I started my tank about a year or so ago, and I’m getting close to needing new salt. What issues was this actually causing with tanks? I had been out of reefing for a while but last I heard they were a good brand. If they’re actually causing some severe problems I definitely want to avoid it.
Buckets from Germany=quality salt
Buckets from Turkey=killing entire tanks

denying any issues with their product yet doing a recall because “public sentiment”

never heard of any company issuing a recall because they were worried what the public thought if there was actually nothing wrong with said product because there will always be someone who buys the product. All I know is I’ve only ever used redsea blue bucket and IORC and not once had an icp test show arsenic, but I’ve seen first hand icp tests from a tank using TM from turkey show up with arsenic….coincidence?

Orito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but you are going pretty hard on a social media rep that has zero to do with quality control and only says what he is told he can say regardless of what truth he knows about the product. He says anything otherwise and he no longer has a job, he doesn’t defend his company he no longer has a job….nothing else he can do. The higher ups of tropic marin know there is a problem, know there has been a problem for a while and are finally deciding to do something about it. Imo, you don’t do a mass recall if there is truly no problem with the product. I think they are hiding something but we will never know. I’ve never used TM, but my buddy just got back an icp test with arsenic in the results, so there is some truth in the matter and I do not disagree with you, just don’t see the point in chewing up their media rep when there’s jack he can do because obviously TM doesn’t care.
Well it's his job, I don't think I was hard on him, if his line of defense is saying there's nothing wrong he should show data, if people wanna believe in nice and kind company decision I rather believe in Santa

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but you are going pretty hard on a social media rep that has zero to do with quality control and only says what he is told he can say regardless of what truth he knows about the product. He says anything otherwise and he no longer has a job, he doesn’t defend his company he no longer has a job….nothing else he can do.

Lou Ekus is not a social media rep lol. He is the CEO of Tropic Marin USA.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou Ekus is not a social media rep lol. He is the CEO of Tropic Marin USA.
Well then…..if that’s the case then it’s sounds like he needs to be doing a little more talking than just there’s no issues.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to make one last post on this subject here. Then you can go on with whatever criticism you feel is necessary. I have to stop defending at some point! ... This thread is a very good example of how things go... I stated the facts... our testing has turned up nothing that would affect coral or vertebrate health negatively, nothing! We started the replacement (NOT RECALL!) program before our full results were in because this kind of testing takes a lot of time to do and we didn't feel it was proper to wait. Now, with our results in and showing nothing detrimental, it didn't make sense to stop doing the replacement that we had started.

NOTHING we do in this situation will make everyone happy and make everyone feel we did the right thing. If we stopped the replacements after starting it, people would be screaming at us. If we never offered the replacements at all, other people would be screaming at us. If I tell you we found nothing, someone will say I'm lying. I cannot defend every possible commutation and permutation of the possible courses this could take. Tropic Marin took the course of action that we felt best protected our customers. If you feel we handled this the wrong way, I understand your feelings.

I have to be done with back and forth on this here. Not because I am frustrated or defensive. But because I will not be able to make it right for all and this could literally go on forever. I appreciate the supportive comments. I hear and take seriously the negative ones and criticisms. I am always trying to do better.

For any of you that would like my opinion or help with whatever issue you may be having in your systems, I am always available through emails at [email protected].

adobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If TM was as bad as all you people claim, then what would stop them from posting results that are fake or from batches that have zero issues?

It is pointless to chase all these conspiracy theories. Elvis is still alive. Flat earth. Moon landings are fake. One can spend a lifetime chasing their tail trying to discredit this stuff.

TM salt is excruciatingly expensive. Buy it, don't buy it. Its up to you. The rest of this stuff a bunch of baloney.

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to make one last post on this subject here. Then you can go on with whatever criticism you feel is necessary. I have to stop defending at some point! ... This thread is a very good example of how things go... I stated the facts... our testing has turned up nothing that would affect coral or vertebrate health negatively, nothing! We started the replacement (NOT RECALL!) program before our full results were in because this kind of testing takes a lot of time to do and we didn't feel it was proper to wait. Now, with our results in and showing nothing detrimental, it didn't make sense to stop doing the replacement that we had started.

NOTHING we do in this situation will make everyone happy and make everyone feel we did the right thing. If we stopped the replacements after starting it, people would be screaming at us. If we never offered the replacements at all, other people would be screaming at us. If I tell you we found nothing, someone will say I'm lying. I cannot defend every possible commutation and permutation of the possible courses this could take. Tropic Marin took the course of action that we felt best protected our customers. If you feel we handled this the wrong way, I understand your feelings.

I have to be done with back and forth on this here. Not because I am frustrated or defensive. But because I will not be able to make it right for all and this could literally go on forever. I appreciate the supportive comments. I hear and take seriously the negative ones and criticisms. I am always trying to do better.

For any of you that would like my opinion or help with whatever issue you may be having in your systems, I am always available through emails at [email protected].
Episode 1 Shut Up GIF by P-Valley

Literally half the people of the thread be like: ^

(satire)

Orito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If TM was as bad as all you people claim, then what would stop them from posting results that are fake or from batches that have zero issues?

It is pointless to chase all these conspiracy theories. Elvis is still alive. Flat earth. Moon landings are fake. One can spend a lifetime chasing their tail trying to discredit this stuff.

TM salt is excruciatingly expensive. Buy it, don't buy it. Its up to you. The rest of this stuff a bunch of baloney.
Well I don't know, maybe because when you have a result there are means to see if it's real or not, a serious test in this case would be made by an independence laboratory not by the own company. The risk of posting a fake test and get caught lying is so big that I believe for them is better not post anything. Do you think that a test showing nothing wouldn't be posted?
Elvis is dead, the earth is round, I took 3 COVID shots, I'm not conspiracionist, I'm a simple a consumer

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.2%
Back