Considering leaving hobby

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all so my wife has had enough beginning of the year I lost my small one spot that that was in the tank for over a year. Then I put in a large meleaurus wrasse. Now I have a small magnificent in qt and my tomini tang is dead.
I think she's gonna want it all gone so this is just to gauge interest. Everything would be for sale if I do break it down.
-Ice cap 36 sump
-Seapora 75gal rimless with custom stand
-reefbreeder 48 photon v2+
-2x aquamaxx reactor
-simplicity 120dc skimmer
-apex wifi 2016 model
-current USA return 1900ghp pump
-neptune ato
-hanna checkers
Copper
Nitrate lr/hr
Alk
Ph
Phos ulr
Cal
-misc test kits and other stuff
Like I said this will just be to gauge interest as the decision hasn't been made yet thanks

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i would be interested in the light, and hanna checkers(all except Ph, copper, and nitrate HR as i don’t need these).

depending how close you are…. maybe even tank/stand

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is relatively new (from your build thread a little over a year) then my advice would be to not give up yet. The hobby gets easier as the tank gets older. You lost a few fish, which unfortunately is going to happen from time to time, but I don't think that justifies throwing in the towel just yet.
tenor.gif

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Gtinnel. The first year is always the hardest with a new reef.
It was at roughly the year mark when I almost gave up because everything in my tank died within 1 day. Now I'm about 2.5 years on my current tank and I'm glad I stuck with it.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all so my wife has had enough beginning of the year I lost my small one spot that that was in the tank for over a year. Then I put in a large meleaurus wrasse. Now I have a small magnificent in qt and my tomini tang is dead.
I think she's gonna want it all gone so this is just to gauge interest. Everything would be for sale if I do break it down.
-Ice cap 36 sump
-2x aquamaxx reactor
-apex wifi 2016 model
-neptune ato
-hanna checkers
Copper
Nitrate lr/hr
Alk
Ph
Phos ulr
Cal
Like I said this will just be to gauge interest as the decision hasn't been made yet thanks
Surely it's frustrating to lose livestock, but I sure hope that accidental deaths aren't grounds for razing a hobby setup to the ground. Everyone makes mistakes and I'm sure you're not happy with what happened either. Hopefully you guys can come to some kind of understanding.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems you and wife are engaged and care deeply about the critters in your care. I think after the years I remember each fish, and most corals that I have not kept the conditions to allow them to thrive. And hope I have learned from each of them; innocence, optimism, neglect, hubris.
Agree with the recent threads that suggest you take a deep breath, reflect on the rights and the wrongs of the first year and hang in there for a bit before pulling the plug.
Think about how hard to will be to restart

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Ice cap 36 sump
-2x aquamaxx reactor
-apex wifi 2016 model
-neptune ato
-hanna checkers
Copper
Nitrate lr/hr
Alk
Ph
Phos ulr
Cal
If you are not enjoying things then stop. If it causes friction stop.
We all have losses and failures. Some get enough positives to offset the negatives.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first year is definitely the hardest. I'm 9 months in and my tank just matured. I knew this going in because I had done it 32 yrs ago. I feel lucky in that I have only lost one fish and I knew going in that it was in bad shape but for $20, I played doctor and lost.
But the frustration of one ugly stage after another is enough to drive sane people mad. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel and your tank may be past the worst of it.
Something to think about.
Good luck regardless!!!

OP
OP
01xp

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm done I posted the whole setup for sale. When the tank goes I will sell all the other stuff off. Please I your interested message me price is negotiable

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back