Considering to purchase a 40 year old tank, yay or nay?

OP
OP
ana474

ana474

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like a beautiful tank. Get a lizard or this little fella. I just saw the picture, it looks perfect for a little snake.

green.jpg
Lol, not a snake or reptile fan. I really wanted to pick up a saltwater tank again.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon tank and the seller wants 330. It is a steal for this tank, but resealing....without being able to see the outside corner structure due to the perm frame of bamboo around it...sigh. I really love this design and for the price, so hard to pass up.
Neat tank. But how would you maintenance if you can't take off the top?

I would have passed as well.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go to the next petco tank sale ..and then make your own bamboo trim..at least it will be new

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing the design and inability to really get a good look at seams, I would have to pass too. Maybe you can get someone to make a similar look with a newer tank?
I think that may be hard to have saltwater in as you would have to redesign things to get it working well. Then again, I may not be able to see the drilling or area for sump or canopy correctly.

Dreamtank65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 40 year old tank I am consiering is housed in a bamboo frame and not able to be removed out of the main frame. The seller stated his parents kept freshwater fish in it for many years and about 12 years ago, his son kept saltwater. I love the frame of the tank, it's bamboo from the Philippines, but it's 40 years old. Thoughts on what I should look for when looking at this tank? Also, can old tanks be refurbished if it is indeed leaking when I fill it? It also has a large bamboo roof on the tank as well. I've owned new saltwater tanks in the past, but do not know what to look for as far as integrity in old tanks. Advice?
Do not buy an old tank , use a new tank only you don’t t want it to leak.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back