Considering to purchase a 40 year old tank, yay or nay?

ana474

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 40 year old tank I am consiering is housed in a bamboo frame and not able to be removed out of the main frame. The seller stated his parents kept freshwater fish in it for many years and about 12 years ago, his son kept saltwater. I love the frame of the tank, it's bamboo from the Philippines, but it's 40 years old. Thoughts on what I should look for when looking at this tank? Also, can old tanks be refurbished if it is indeed leaking when I fill it? It also has a large bamboo roof on the tank as well. I've owned new saltwater tanks in the past, but do not know what to look for as far as integrity in old tanks. Advice?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that old for a long time in my home. Eventually the bulkheads I drilled leaked and the glass was so dense and colored, I upgraded the tank. Honestly, things made back then last forever compared to today. My glass was 1" on sides and 1.5" or 2" on bottom. It was a beast. Heavy too as it was a 210g tank.

If you love the tank frame, can you salvage just that with new tank built inside? Is the cost worth the extra cost of resealing and possible scrap? How big is it?

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glass, of course, will last forever unless cracked or chipped somehow. 40 years is a LONG time for silicone to maintain it's strength though. 20 years is the max that I've generally been given, though that's in an exterior construction context rather than reef tanks.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
curious to see pictures of it. lots of factors that could go into this. 40 years is quite a while to then continue using without resealing the corners/edges. any visible scratches? is it drilled? can it be drilled?

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 years for Aquarium is like 100+ for human. It may last few months or a year.
I would say that it is not worth setting it up and loosing fish, coral, inverts later due to leak. It may even not survive the transport.

OP
OP
ana474

ana474

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that old for a long time in my home. Eventually the bulkheads I drilled leaked and the glass was so dense and colored, I upgraded the tank. Honestly, things made back then last forever compared to today. My glass was 1" on sides and 1.5" or 2" on bottom. It was a beast. Heavy too as it was a 210g tank.

If you love the tank frame, can you salvage just that with new tank built inside? Is the cost worth the extra cost of resealing and possible scrap? How big is it?

curious to see pictures of it. lots of factors that could go into this. 40 years is quite a while to then continue using without resealing the corners/edges. any visible scratches? is it drilled? can it be drilled?
This is the tank. The bamboo frame can't be removed from the tank.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230803_214704_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230803_214704_Facebook.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
ana474

ana474

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I passed and now got the bug for doing a beautiful tank again. Last time I had a fish and reef tank was in 2005. Visited a store today and my gosh things have changed! Lots of homework to do. I love love the tank with frame and stand that I was going to get, but new in probably better at this point when it's going into my daughter's room. Thanks for all of the replies, you all pulled me off a ledge.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the tank. The bamboo frame can't be removed from the tank.

Hmm...few of our dorm members brought home displays like that from the Philippines after TDY. Not questioning the craftmanship but as noted above silicon usually has a lifespan of 10, 15, 20, and 25 years depending on the type and manufacture.

The question for you is if you want to risk having a seam failure and losing all of your animals. That could be a lot of time and energy lost not to mention the lost of animals. Of course surrounding house damage and potential fire.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like a beautiful tank. Get a lizard or this little fella. I just saw the picture, it looks perfect for a little snake.

green.jpg

OP
OP
ana474

ana474

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldnt you frame a new tank with bamboo in the same style. It would clearly only be aesthetic. But would look like you want while giving you the peace of mind you need.
No, the seller said the bamboo around the tank would be ruined by removing it. I passed, was a hard thing to pass up.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the seller said the bamboo around the tank would be ruined by removing it. I passed, was a hard thing to pass up.
I'm not talking about using any piece from the old tank. I am talking about buying a tank and using hot glue or aquarium sealant to adhere new bamboo to the new tank.

I am saying recreate this tank you like so much. Bamboo, a couple tubes of silicone, a cheap miter block, and handsaw would make this really easy to accomplish for nearly any skill level.

OP
OP
ana474

ana474

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...few of our dorm members brought home displays like that from the Philippines after TDY. Not questioning the craftmanship but as noted above silicon usually has a lifespan of 10, 15, 20, and 25 years depending on the type and manufacture.

The question for you is if you want to risk having a seam failure and losing all of your animals. That could be a lot of time and energy lost not to mention the lost of animals. Of course surrounding house damage and potential fire.
No, that was exactly my fear and why I asked here. I just had a slab pipe break a year and a half ago that flooded the entire wing with all bedrooms. I put new flooring and think I would lose my mind if the tank flooded the house. Hard pass after all of these responses, as pretty as that frame and stand is.

OP
OP
ana474

ana474

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not talking about using any piece from the old tank. I am talking about buying a tank and using hot glue or aquarium sealant to adhere new bamboo to the new tank.

I am saying recreate this tank you like so much. Bamboo, a couple tubes of silicone, a cheap miter block, and handsaw would make this really easy to accomplish for nearly any skill level.
That's actually not a bad idea. Create a tank top, sides and base like this one....

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's actually not a bad idea. Create a tank top, sides and base like this one....
Yes. I haven't seen this tank. But it cannot be hard to do. The bamboo most likely only served as a molding on the original as well. You can buy a cheap rimmed tank and trim it out in bamboo.

Edit, I just looked. While tedious, due to the designs, this is very achievable. Very.

I just saw where you are located. If you are around Jacksonville and need help with any aspect of the construction, feel free to ask me. Also, when you are cycled and ready. I will have free heads of frammer, bubble gum digitata, and a few zoas as well. Id also be willing to give you a meteor shower cyphestrea the size of a mini football.

OP
OP
ana474

ana474

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

75 gallon tank and the seller wants 330. It is a steal for this tank, but resealing....without being able to see the outside corner structure due to the perm frame of bamboo around it...sigh. I really love this design and for the price, so hard to pass up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230803_214704_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230803_214704_Facebook.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 69

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back