Considering Triton method for new tank - a quick question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I'm in the process of putting together my new tank, and seriously considering the leveraging the Triton method to be my approach for nutrient control. I like the idea of dosing my reef to as close to natural sea water as possible. I've seen a lot of success from folks who follow the method to a T, and I'd intend to do so.

The question I have for the great folks of this community is about flow. My tank has a built in corner overflow rated for up to 700 GPH. My tank is a 75 gallon, and I intend to put around 80 pounds of live rock. I assume this would put my display volume around 60 gallons or so. For my sump, I will be picking up a 20 long from petco (love the $ per gallon deal) and getting the fiji cube baffles to complete my sump. I assume all in my system volume will be around 80 or so gallons... but my overflow is rated for "Up to" 700 gph. I wonder if it is a deal breaker to have my total system overturn under 10x per hour.

If this is a dealbreaker, obviously I need to take a look at other options. I love my tank and the corner overflow so changing the tank isn't an option at this point. Hoping you all may have some insight for me!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

NavyR33f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overturn through the sump doesn't "have" to be 10x turnover. the longer your mechanical and biological filtration in your sump can be beneficial. I think brs did a video a while ago that even recommended close to 3-5x turnover, might be off a little on those numbers i can't remember exactly

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it is a deal breaker to have my total system overturn under 10x per hour.

If this is a dealbreaker, obviously I need to take a look at other options. I love my tank and the corner overflow so changing the tank isn't an option at this point. Hoping you all may have some insight for me!
Plenty of flow, you don't have to just look at flow to/from tank, there's many other ways to produce flow.
Switching to Triton was a game changer to me. I follow the process and recommendations, and submit monthly testing, just be patient. Had to do seven months of water changes before I started seeing results. Here's my flow breakdown on a RSR250:

Return - 353GPH
reactor for carbon - 125GPH
Frag Tank - 55GPH
GFO Reactor - 50GPH
ttl - 583GPH/59G = 9.8x flow

Tip: Plan to buy all Triton products twice a year when on sale, July and December.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well welcome to Triton.
I am using the Triton method and my water volume is about 230 gallons.
So my flow shoild be over 2K an hour.
My flow is around 1250-1300 average.
Triton works well and my system is stable and healthy.
You will find that this method works but also will need to be taylored to your tank.
I think you will be fine

OP
OP
Creggers

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of what I've read is about finding the right balance for each tank so it's encouraging to hear that I should be okay with my flow.

I haven't found a lot of information around carbon reactors etc. with regards to the Triton method - is the flow through that added to the total flow? My understanding was that the flow they refer to is through the fuge... Is that not necessarily the case?

I plan on slowly putting the tank together (build thread is entitled "slow and steady" for a reason) and I don't intend on introducing corals for some time. At the rate I'm going at now, we're probably looking at late October or so before I'm even fully cycled (going live rock).

I apologize if this question (and others) have been answered in other threads.. I didn't find anything around my questions when I searched.

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't found a lot of information around carbon reactors etc. with regards to the Triton method
IMO a reactor is the only way to go when running carbon and GFO. there's other ways to do it, but that's just my experience with it.

Is the flow through that added to the total flow?
I include it in overall and it works for my setup. As the other guy stated in this thread, it's what works best for your setup. In this case, this worked best to get me to that flow rate going through my refugium.

My understanding was that the flow they refer to is through the fuge...
This is how I setup my flow. I setup all the flow to run back through the fuge. It's a piping mess, but I got it to work.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of what I've read is about finding the right balance for each tank so it's encouraging to hear that I should be okay with my flow.

I haven't found a lot of information around carbon reactors etc. with regards to the Triton method - is the flow through that added to the total flow? My understanding was that the flow they refer to is through the fuge... Is that not necessarily the case?

I plan on slowly putting the tank together (build thread is entitled "slow and steady" for a reason) and I don't intend on introducing corals for some time. At the rate I'm going at now, we're probably looking at late October or so before I'm even fully cycled (going live rock).

I apologize if this question (and others) have been answered in other threads.. I didn't find anything around my questions when I searched.
You can augment for hi flow coral needs with a directed powerhead.
There is no reason to move 10x thru the refugium, in fact that might stir things up too much, depending on contents. You do want 5x or better thru the skimmer section.
Running carbon, I don't think there's anything specific relating to triton. I run brs rox in a reactor with a 100 gph pump. You might tee off some of the tank return and eliminate the pump.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back