Contamination by air

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two open buckets of mixing saltwater within ten feet (maybe 5-7 feet) of each other, one for my quarantine tank (which has fish that are only a few days from finishing their copper treatment) and one for my main display. The quarantine bucket had saltwater mixing with an airstone. Is the saltwater in the display bucket still safe to use or do I have to empty and sterilize it?

Smprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I am dense because I just read your post 5 times and I am still confused. Are you mixing fresh saltwater in 2 different buckets by themselves? If you are...why would they be contaminated? 2ndly I have read the 10 foot paper. I have read Humblefishes take on the paper. I am not convinced that 10 feet is a rule. So although it is possible to contaminate with in 10 feet...the conditions to do so have to be relatively extreme. A garden sprayer and a fan at full blast directly over the sprayer....yeah...my AC unit does not blow air that hard and the airstones do not spray anywhere near as hard as the pressurized garden sprayer...however, thats my take and only you can assess your risk. Me...nah...not buying it. Anyways...don't want to start the anecdotal war of..."well I say this and that...etc"

But seriously back to your question...is it new salt?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
In the past for the little salt wasted, I just dumped and remixed new.
While I want to say safe, I question what atmospheric foreigh elements may have reached that content of saltwater

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two open buckets of mixing saltwater within ten feet (maybe 5-7 feet) of each other, one for my quarantine tank (which has fish that are only a few days from finishing their copper treatment) and one for my main display. The quarantine bucket had saltwater mixing with an airstone. Is the saltwater in the display bucket still safe to use or do I have to empty and sterilize it?
FWIW, here is my article on biosecurity. It may not answer you question directly, but it does give some background into the topic: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/biosecurity.812/

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back