Contest for fastest roller mat unroll?

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spent the last hour re-rolling my fleece roller, because I decided to play in my sump and messed with the float switch position.....

Why do these roller mats not time-out? In what scenario would I want my roller mat to continuously unroll beyond maybe 5 seconds?.... :downcast-face-with-sweat:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spent the last hour re-rolling my fleece roller, because I decided to play in my sump and messed with the float switch position.....

Why do these roller mats not time-out? In what scenario would I want my roller mat to continuously unroll beyond maybe 5 seconds?.... :downcast-face-with-sweat:
This is why I removed my switch and now only run it few seconds every 6 or so hours with my apex. I was having way to many issues with half a role being used for bubbles on the optical sensor

OP
OP
ReefLife_Guy

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I removed my switch and now only run it few seconds every 6 or so hours with my apex. I was having way to many issues with half a role being used for bubbles on the optical sensor
Mine uses a float switch and this is the first time I've had it do the whole roll at once but I would love to integrate it into my apex. Might have to think about how to do that, I like the idea of having the apex control/monitor the usage especially for making more precise adjustments to nutrient exporting. I've played around with the slider on mine and moving it a few centimeters up or down has a dramatic effect on nitrate/phosphate levels, using a set time like you mentioned might work better for this.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine uses a float switch and this is the first time I've had it do the whole roll at once but I would love to integrate it into my apex. Might have to think about how to do that, I like the idea of having the apex control/monitor the usage especially for making more precise adjustments to nutrient exporting. I've played around with the slider on mine and moving it a few centimeters up or down has a dramatic effect on nitrate/phosphate levels, using a set time like you mentioned might work better for this.
I modified my roller setup to be apex controlled. I started out with a Bubble Magus and had to replace the motor, so...... Float switch now goes to a breakout box and it just switches on an outlet on the EB8 as needed. I also programmed so that it wont move more than 3 seconds at a time or else it just turns off.

OP
OP
ReefLife_Guy

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I modified my roller setup to be apex controlled. I started out with a Bubble Magus and had to replace the motor, so...... Float switch now goes to a breakout box and it just switches on an outlet on the EB8 as needed. I also programmed so that it wont move more than 3 seconds at a time or else it just turns off.
I definitely need to do something like this.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the newer bubble magus models have a 10 second time out. I previously had a early klir di4 and it would just send the entire roll through!
It's so weird. I don't see why you wouldn't just want a timer to have the motor come once or twice each day and depending on how clogged that section of mat gets on a daily basis, for how many seconds as needed.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so weird. I don't see why you wouldn't just want a timer to have the motor come once or twice each day and depending on how clogged that section of mat gets on a daily basis, for how many seconds as needed.
Im good with the float switch as I want it to advance when its packed up. Its all about maintenance and sump setup. One setup of mine is in a trigger sump (kind of a pita to set up) and the other is in a temp 10g sump on a 50g cube. That sump is single chamber (no baffles). I have to remember if the return pump cuts off, then I need to shut off the roller as the high level of the sump will trigger the float and advance the roller.

OP
OP
ReefLife_Guy

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how everyone else is using these in their sumps but it would be even more of a nightmare if I did not use a float switch mechanism. I just wish they would have thought about a simple fail-safe with an auto-kill timeout feature.

OP
OP
ReefLife_Guy

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im good with the float switch as I want it to advance when its packed up.
Yeah this is the same reason I like this mechanism, my rollermat came with my Trigger sump and the float switch adjustment design could definitely be better. I think there are some interesting possibilities with this and using the new neptune "measuring sticks".

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how everyone else is using these in their sumps but it would be even more of a nightmare if I did not use a float switch mechanism. I just wish they would have thought about a simple fail-safe with an auto-kill timeout feature.
I can see an easy way to eliminate the need for a float switch. It could be like how my sump operates in the sock chamber. I have an additional "drain" drilled over sock level so when the sock clogs, the chamber fills to the drain level and dumps into the skimmer chamber.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back