New/Smaller ReefMat 250 Announced Today - October Release

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RedSea announced a new version of the ReefMat today.

This seems like it would free up some space in the sump.. the RedSea rollers are pretty chunky, wondering if anyone will downsize.

Their Announcement:

"Say hello to the ReefMat 250 - providing you with the ReefMat advantage in a compact version that fits into almost any reef system!
The ReefMat 250 is a plug & play, fully automated roller filter that keeps your aquarium water crystal clear, with a unique mat replacement system that allows you to switch rolls without having to remove the filter from the sump or even switch off the pumps.
It includes a fail-proof solid-state level sensor, as well as a smart drive unit that connects it to the ReefBeat ecosystem, which controls and monitors the exact length of the used mat, lets you know your average mat usage, provides you with a daily log, and gives you a head’s up a few days before the mat needs replacing.

Check it out:

Installing the ReefMat 250 is as easy as it gets:

The ReefMat 250 features include:
  • Plug & Play installation with multiple sump setup options.
  • Easy fleece-mat replacement system.
  • Efficient, high-flow, skimmer friendly, 50 g/m², non-woven polyester fleece-mat rolls.
  • Smart drive unit - connected to the ReefBeat ecosystem.
  • Solid-State internal and external water level sensors (no moving parts).
  • Integrated media basket for additional chemical filtration.
  • Kink-resistant, corrugated inlet hose with a USA/Metric PVC connector

Screenshot (277).png

The ReefMat 250 will be available towards the end of October."

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already put in my pre-order:)
Any info on pricing? I've never considered one because of failures I've read about and I really don't mind socks but if the price it right it may be worth trying one. If I try one and it's crap I can at least say I tried one when I talk smack about them :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any info on pricing? I've never considered one because of failures I've read about and I really don't mind socks but if the price it right it may be worth trying one. If I try one and it's crap I can at least say I tried one when I talk smack about them :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
1695308114844.png

WhosUrBud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking 250 is half of 500 so the price should be half. I guess my logic is flawed :face-with-tears-of-joy: Probably have think about that one. I run mesh socks in my redsea tanks and they are easy to clean.
Rated for half the flow, but filter is only 18% smaller.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep it long enough, it will basically pay for itself!
Not sure about everyone else but I would have to keep it a very very long time. Mesh socks are $11 each and my reefer 170 uses one so I keep 2 and rotate them out. I don't think I've had one wear out unlike the felt socks. It would have to last me longer than I'll ever live.
Not knocking the roller just saying that your logic could never accurately be applied in my situation but it could be used to sway someone's partner to approve a purchase maybe? Fortunately I don't need approval ;)

WhosUrBud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about everyone else but I would have to keep it a very very long time. Mesh socks are $11 each and my reefer 170 uses one so I keep 2 and rotate them out. I don't think I've had one wear out unlike the felt socks. It would have to last me longer than I'll ever live.
Not knocking the roller just saying that your logic could never accurately be applied in my situation but it could be used to sway someone's partner to approve a purchase maybe? Fortunately I don't need approval ;)
We were comparing pricing between the 250 to 500, not to other filter methods.

WhosUrBud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep it long enough, it will basically pay for itself!

I was replying to this ^ and I don't think it is a comparison to those two. If so I apologize for my misunderstanding ;)
That statement was a quoted reply to the comment before it. But you are correct, fleece rollers in general are more expensive than socks.

Froof

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They finally made a 90 degree for the intake pipe for this model! Please tell me they’re going to make one to use on the bigger models so you don’t have to smash the pipe to one side or run it clear under and around the unit to utilize that straight shot attachment they come with!

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If its like any other roller your not going to want to downsize as you will burn up more media, quicker.
I would have to agree with this statement greatly. I have a 130G system, that I originally put the 500 on, I was right at max capacity and you could clearly see it in the fleece consumption. I moved the 500 to my RS 250 and I am going to cut the auto advance amounts in half after about 2 weeks of running. I then added a 1200 to the 130G system and it is going to last a long long time.

However, I am trying to decide what I want to do with the emergency drain. Neither sump now has socks, or a place for them (removed them from the 130 and put a 20G L in under the RS 250, much easier than trashing the sump, I can repurpose that for a couple frag tanks). I am trying to decide should the e-drain go through the roller or just let it go commando. I've read mixed reviews on running everything through the roller, as it performs so well that some people report bottoming out. Not to hijack, those with rollers, what are you doing with your e-drains on a single primary drain set up?

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
They finally made a 90 degree for the intake pipe for this model! Please tell me they’re going to make one to use on the bigger models so you don’t have to smash the pipe to one side or run it clear under and around the unit to utilize that straight shot attachment they come with!
This is a great read, I have 2 tanks with Reefmats, I’m going to go this route for my e-drains.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back