ReefMat 1200 hard plumbing

Perfectly_Imperfekt1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a big supporter of the fleece filters since I put one on my RSR250(Clarisea sk-3000). I'm currently planning out a build on a CDA 125gal tank. I did some searching and didn't find all the info I needed to plumb this Red Sea Reefmat 1200 with dual drains. It's rated up to 2380 GPH. The CDA tank has 3 drains on the external overflow(primary, secondary, and emergency drains). My plan is to have 1" pipe for all three drains. The Reefmat has two connections for the inlet but it only comes with 1 inlet hose kit, union and barb to hook the inlet hose kit to your existing RSR plumbing. The second inlet has a cap/plug installed on it. If you're going to hook up the second drain you will need the inlet hose kit or do a conversion to PVC fittings.

Inlet hose kit from Red Sea(most placed backordered not stocked)

PVC fittings using the existing threaded nut from the inlet cap/plug. Went to Lowes and just grabbed what they had on the shelf. I'm sure you could find what you need online to fit your needs. I really just wanted to do a mock up and measure things to make sure the sump I'm getting will fit the Reefmat 1200.

1" PVC union(SCH 80 or SCH 40 works) - use only the non threaded side
union.jpg

1" PVC street elbow SPIG x SLIP

street elbow.jpg

conversion1.jpg
conversion1.jpg

conversion2.jpg

conversion3.jpg

union1.jpg

For comparison sake here's the inlet hose vs pvc conversion

stock 1.jpg

conver 4.jpg

The total width of the Reefmat 1200 with the stock inlet only installed can vary from 12-1/2" to 13" depending on how tight you pull the hose in the inlet. But you could save some space by to the pvc conversion on both sides if your sump has a tight fit when you install this Reefmat.

look.jpg

look2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Perfectly_Imperfekt1

Perfectly_Imperfekt1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I would like to mention is the hose from the inlet kit is about 1-1/4" ID. Odd size for drain hose. So if try to use the existing inlet hose on the pvc pipe conversion, I'm not sure if a 1-1/2 barb would if the hose? I need to check that.

OP
OP
Perfectly_Imperfekt1

Perfectly_Imperfekt1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a used Somatic 60 sump($30) with plans to install the Reefmat 1200 into this sump. Then connect it to my Trigger 36 sump with a couple heads.

IMG_2047.JPEG

IMG_2046.JPEG

The sump is 16-1/2" x 16-1/2" and this Reefmat takes up all of that 16-1/2" with both inlets connected. I have determine if I'm going to use the stock inlet hose on one side or do both PVC converted short elbows to the hard plumbing from the drains.

IMG_2044.JPEG

IMG_2045.JPEG

My plan is to plumb the 1" drain pipes into the small compartment you can see in the sump. Drilling out holes to connect the pipe to the inlets on the Reefmat.

The Reefmat is hanging on the sump with some clearance on the bottom without the media basket attached to the Reefmat.

Here's the sump next to my Trigger sump for comparison.

IMG_2048.JPEG

IMG_2049.JPEG

IMG_2050.JPEG

IMG_2052.JPEG

IMG_2053.JPEG

IMG_2054.JPEG

JvC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the water get from the one to the other after going thru the mat?

You could place the first sump, the one the Mat is in at a higher level and let the water gravity drain to the next sump.

Aframereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did what I did but I have a lathe so I made my own fittings. I pump water in both side through 1 1/2 inch pvc.

bmelvin20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did what I did but I have a lathe so I made my own fittings. I pump water in both side through 1 1/2 inch pvc.
I am looking to add a 1200 to my sump which i have plumed with one 1 1/2 drain. Would like to see how you did this if you have pictures.

Ocean_View

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this on my 320 and left the 2nd drain to still flow where the filter sock would be. I find if you run the two drain on the roller u can button out your bio in the tank i had this happen. And had GHA for over 2 months when i toke of the 2nd drain i got my bio back in check the reefmat is that good and get all the fines. Now with only one drain in the mat and the other just flowing to my socks area i keep a good balance. And it still get all the gunk out. Just my 2 cents. On plumbing it all in to the mat. If it of any use for you.

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this on my 320 and left the 2nd drain to still flow where the filter sock would be. I find if you run the two drain on the roller u can button out your bio in the tank i had this happen. And had GHA for over 2 months when i toke of the 2nd drain i got my bio back in check the reefmat is that good and get all the fines. Now with only one drain in the mat and the other just flowing to my socks area i keep a good balance. And it still get all the gunk out. Just my 2 cents. On plumbing it all in to the mat. If it of any use for you.
I’m thinking of doing the same. Sounds like these filters work to good!

Noel01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ho
I've been a big supporter of the fleece filters since I put one on my RSR250(Clarisea sk-3000). I'm currently planning out a build on a CDA 125gal tank. I did some searching and didn't find all the info I needed to plumb this Red Sea Reefmat 1200 with dual drains. It's rated up to 2380 GPH. The CDA tank has 3 drains on the external overflow(primary, secondary, and emergency drains). My plan is to have 1" pipe for all three drains. The Reefmat has two connections for the inlet but it only comes with 1 inlet hose kit, union and barb to hook the inlet hose kit to your existing RSR plumbing. The second inlet has a cap/plug installed on it. If you're going to hook up the second drain you will need the inlet hose kit or do a conversion to PVC fittings.

PVC fittings using the existing threaded nut from the inlet cap/plug. Went to Lowes and just grabbed what they had on the shelf. I'm sure you could find what you need online to fit your needs. I really just wanted to do a mock up and measure things to make sure the sump I'm getting will fit the Reefmat 1200.

1" PVC union(SCH 80 or SCH 40 works) - use only the non threaded side
union.jpg

1" PVC street elbow SPIG x SLIP

street elbow.jpg

conversion1.jpg
conversion1.jpg

conversion2.jpg

conversion3.jpg

union1.jpg

For comparison sake here's the inlet hose vs pvc conversion

stock 1.jpg

conver 4.jpg

The total width of the Reefmat 1200 with the stock inlet only installed can vary from 12-1/2" to 13" depending on how tight you pull the hose in the inlet. But you could save some space by to the pvc conversion on both sides if your sump has a tight fit when you install this Reefmat.

look.jpg

look2.jpg

How did you get the flex pipe into that spigot fitting? My flex tubing will not insert. It’s way to tight.

OP
OP
Perfectly_Imperfekt1

Perfectly_Imperfekt1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Noel01 , I didn't put the flex pipe into the spigot fitting. In the picture you can see the spigot fitting has nothing attached. The other side with the flex pipe I used the fittings that came with the reefmat. I will use the flex pipe to hook right to my hard plumbing and then hard plumb from the manifold to the spigot fitting on the reefmat.

Noel01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Noel01 , I didn't put the flex pipe into the spigot fitting. In the picture you can see the spigot fitting has nothing attached. The other side with the flex pipe I used the fittings that came with the reefmat. I will use the flex pipe to hook right to my hard plumbing and then hard plumb from the manifold to the spigot fitting on the reefmat.

Im sorry it wasn’t your pic….it was a reply below yours that I was looking at but good to know anyway. However I just found a piece of regular 1” pipe and it fits tight in the flex. So cut about a 4 inch piece pop that in spigot and stick in the flex tubing with the sealant and done. Will keep the flex straight up for a little distance as well by doing that. I forgot when I watched their video the flex was made for 1” to go inside of and yes the other end to my tank with their fittings.

GGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is great, thanks. I am trying to cut down on detritus in my sump and am going to run my secondary drain using the elbow/union.

I do have a question.. Are you running both drains at full siphon, or just the primary? I am currently only using my primary at full siphon, and am wondering if there will be issues running a gravity drain into the same box a a full siphon.

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi was wondering if your over flow is direct plumbed into the reef mat or if the reefmat just connected to the baffle in the crashbox? I was going to connect mine to the crashbox baffle with just a bulkhead and allow gravity to feed reefmat. Just curious

regards Duzzy

OP
OP
Perfectly_Imperfekt1

Perfectly_Imperfekt1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi was wondering if your over flow is direct plumbed into the reef mat or if the reefmat just connected to the baffle in the crashbox? I was going to connect mine to the crashbox baffle with just a bulkhead and allow gravity to feed reefmat. Just curious

regards Duzzy
It’s connected directly to the ReefMat. I have 2 drains connected to the ReefMat with one drain with a gate valve to control the overflow box. Worked out great.

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s connected directly to the ReefMat. I have 2 drains connected to the ReefMat with one drain with a gate valve to control the overflow box. Worked out great.
Fantastic that’s what I’ll be doing. No sense half the water bypassing the filter. The third sits high to make noise just in case….

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back