ReefMat 1200 hard plumbing

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much fleece do you go through with both drains running through it, this is similar to what i am considering setting up.
I get about 50 days out of a roll or roughly 29” average per day. Using both drains on a 200 gallon mixed reef with feeding heavy.

OP
OP
Perfectly_Imperfekt1

Perfectly_Imperfekt1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way I’m ever using anything else. It’s nice. Pristine water quality and very little effort.
I have a clearisea on my Red Sea 250. It’s very packed with coral and fish. They are all going into my new build with this reefmat. I only get about 2-3 weeks best case. I love the fleece roller. Looking forward to the new setup lasting a lot longer

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20230304_204841.jpg

There is an awful lot of plumbing jammed into a tight space here! Want to make sure I am folloding correctly and hear your experiences. It looks as though your drain enters through a bulkhead in the crash chamber and ReefMat is another bulkhead into the crash chamber. Do you find this configuratuon drains and filters through the ReefMat quickly enough to not exceed the chamber wall and overflow into the fleece area unfiltered? From the level in your picture that certainly appears to be the case. That was my plan also but several have advised me against it. So presently my sump build is in limbo while I figure it out. Is that lower left diagonal also an active drain feeding into the crash chamber? So two trains entering and passively feeding through the inlet bulkhead to the ReefMat? That would be my IDEAL setup!

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I run my e drains through both my tanks reefmats also (500 and 1200). I did not hard plumb these thumb, I am not a fan of hard plumbing my reefmats, I like being able to have quick easy access into my sumps.
IMG_1884.jpeg
IMG_1885.jpeg

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run my e drains through both my tanks reefmats also (500 and 1200). I did not hard plumb these thumb, I am not a fan of hard plumbing my reefmats, I like being able to have quick easy access into my sumps.
IMG_1884.jpeg
IMG_1885.jpeg

Agree to a significant extent and would say I am using a liberal definition of hard plumbing. Yes, I plan on using 1" Schedule 40 PVC and fittings. But I also want to be able to remove and service the ReefMat if necessary without cutting anything up. Intend on just dry fitting the inlet together. It's not under significant pressure so don't need to worry about the fittings bursting. And who really cares if I havr an occasional drip escape? It's in the sump.. The ability to remove and service far outweighs any cons.

Just want to verify what I'm looking at here because there is a lot of plumbing in a tight space. Do you have two drains plumbed into a tee hidden below the dirty fleece role? And the third fitting immediately adjacent to your dosing tubes is presumably your return? My only concern with plumbing them together in this manner is potential noise from the significant flow differences. The majority of inlet flow comes from the primary with only trickle or minimal from secondary. You've only got two so the second is your e drain? Any actual flow through it? I'll have a bean animal with emergency drain plumbed to fuge and rarely if ever used.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Agree to a significant extent and would say I am using a liberal definition of hard plumbing. Yes, I plan on using 1" Schedule 40 PVC and fittings. But I also want to be able to remove and service the ReefMat if necessary without cutting anything up. Intend on just dry fitting the inlet together. It's not under significant pressure so don't need to worry about the fittings bursting. And who really cares if I havr an occasional drip escape? It's in the sump.. The ability to remove and service far outweighs any cons.

Just want to verify what I'm looking at here because there is a lot of plumbing in a tight space. Do you have two drains plumbed into a tee hidden below the dirty fleece role? And the third fitting immediately adjacent to your dosing tubes is presumably your return? My only concern with plumbing them together in this manner is potential noise from the significant flow differences. The majority of inlet flow comes from the primary with only trickle or minimal from secondary. You've only got two so the second is your e drain? Any actual flow through it? I'll have a bean animal with emergency drain plumbed to fuge and rarely if ever used.

Do you have two drains plumbed into a tee hidden below the dirty fleece role? And the third fitting immediately adjacent to your dosing tubes is presumably your return?
- No. That is not plumbed to a T. It simply is a "L" that is connected to another piece of 2 inches of tubbing that dumps water below the water line that exists when the fleece is completely clean. This way, there is no noise of water ever running. It works rather well.
My only concern with plumbing them together in this manner is potential noise from the significant flow differences.
- Perhaps. However, I was more concerned with the back pressure. The e-drain has far less water running through it. IF the e-drain has to fight its way through the device, then water would be slightly backed up the e-drain tube often (which I already see a little of with this design).

The majority of inlet flow comes from the primary with only trickle or minimal from secondary. You've only got two so the second is your e drain?
Yes

Any actual flow through it?
- Some not a ton. More so on my 500.

I had a different set up for about a month. I dropped it down from 1 inch to 3/4 and didn't glue it. It leaked like crazy and eventually let go. I glued what you see and it is 1 inch.

I hope this helps. I will say that I will not plumb these any differently as it works really well in my application and has zero noise. One is near our living room TV and the other next to our bed. So, a silent drain is essential to my good health :)

I'll have a bean animal with emergency drain plumbed to fuge and rarely if ever used.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Here are pics of my Reefer 250 with a 500. I pulled the stock sump and put a 20L in. Much easier than having to hack up the original sump, and only $27.50.

Attachments

• IMG_1923.jpeg
    IMG_1923.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1922.jpeg
    IMG_1922.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1921.jpeg
    IMG_1921.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 73

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back