Continuum Bacter GenM. Do I not need Ammonium Chloride?

jellyfish123

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 28, 2024
Messages
86
Reaction score
113
Location
Queensland
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,
Finally finished aquascaping and flooded my first ever saltwater tank.
I used Aquaforest Biosand and washed for ages but still the tank is cloudy. Hopefully this will pass quickly.
I am using Continuum Bacter Gen M for cycling and seeding with bacteria (advised by the LFS).
My question is, do I not dose the tank with Ammonium Chloride? The direction just says 5mls everyday for 25 gallons for two weeks.
Just thought I'd check and make sure instead of wasting product and time for two whole weeks.
I didn't want to do fish in cycling and if I do need to dose Ammonium Chloride, how much do I add for a 25gal tank?
Thanks for your inputs in advance! Happy Reefing!
 
Hi reefers,
Finally finished aquascaping and flooded my first ever saltwater tank.
I used Aquaforest Biosand and washed for ages but still the tank is cloudy. Hopefully this will pass quickly.
I am using Continuum Bacter Gen M for cycling and seeding with bacteria (advised by the LFS).
My question is, do I not dose the tank with Ammonium Chloride? The direction just says 5mls everyday for 25 gallons for two weeks.
Just thought I'd check and make sure instead of wasting product and time for two whole weeks.
I didn't want to do fish in cycling and if I do need to dose Ammonium Chloride, how much do I add for a 25gal tank?
Thanks for your inputs in advance! Happy Reefing!
The standard practice is to add ammonium chloride to obtain a level in the aquarium of 1-2 ppm. If nitrifying bacteria are present, the total ammonia will decline to 0 ppm in a day to a week. If you want to double check that the bacteria are working, you can add another dose of ammonium chloride and watch its disappearance again. The resulting nitrite will take longer to disappear. Don’t bother measuring nitrate if nitrite is present, The presence of nitrite interferes with the nitrate test, giving high results.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new