Controllable Skimmers

alexnyc22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone,

I currently have the Red Sea 600 skimmer, not upgraded to the new DC version, and dont really want to have to get into the Red Sea ecosystem. Does anyone know of any other skimmer that has the same capabilities of the Red Sea one? Something controllable through the Apex if possible.

I would preferably like something that has a float switch that doesn't allow it to overflow. I

Thank you in advance.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone,

I currently have the Red Sea 600 skimmer, not upgraded to the new DC version, and dont really want to have to get into the Red Sea ecosystem. Does anyone know of any other skimmer that has the same capabilities of the Red Sea one? Something controllable through the Apex if possible.

I would preferably like something that has a float switch that doesn't allow it to overflow. I

Thank you in advance.
What exactly is it you want to be able to control? :)

I run a Reef Octopus Regal 200. It has a float to switch it off when the cup is full- and I can control the pump speed via the Neptune Apex's 0-10v port.

As for the water level, it is controllable on the skimmer itself.

I don't know of any other skimmer that is somewhat controllable using Apex.

OP
OP
A

alexnyc22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well that seems like it works. I want something like that so I dont come home and find it overflowing. I am trying to avoid having to get an extra controller for the Red Sea one. They want you to purchase the float switch and sicce pump and then the controller separately. Comes out to about $400 when I could simply buy another skimmer all together.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RO elite 150 like Casper said has connection dc connection to Apex comes standard .. I got skimmer for like $300 used on here .. Highly recommend

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well that seems like it works. I want something like that so I dont come home and find it overflowing. I am trying to avoid having to get an extra controller for the Red Sea one. They want you to purchase the float switch and sicce pump and then the controller separately. Comes out to about $400 when I could simply buy another skimmer all together.
I upgraded mine hoping I could tune it a little better as I wasn’t impressed with the A/C version. Needless to say I wasted money the thing is still a turd at skimming. However I have a piece of mind on it not overflowing anymore. Overall it’s worth upgrading. But definitely not for the price they get for it. IMO

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded mine hoping I could tune it a little better as I wasn’t impressed with the A/C version. Needless to say I wasted money the thing is still a turd at skimming. However I have a piece of mind on it not overflowing anymore. Overall it’s worth upgrading. But definitely not for the price they get for it. IMO
What skimmer did you upgrade to ??
That may help w/ some context

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying all RSK skimmers are turd at skimming, or just the one on your system?

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying all RSK skimmers are turd at skimming, or just the one on your system?
Both I have never seen one produce any real skim. My aquamax produces some serious dark skimate but this Red Sea skimmer just doesn’t. I’ve tried everything I have a decent bio load as well.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both I have never seen one produce any real skim. My aquamax produces some serious dark skimate but this Red Sea skimmer just doesn’t. I’ve tried everything I have a decent bio load as well.
Ic, never owned one, was curious when you said they are turds. Even with all these features like level sensors, and automatic pump controls and app interface and still cant do what its designed to do at that price point...very disappointing indeed

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ic, never owned one, was curious when you said they are turds. Even with all these features like level sensors, and automatic pump controls and app interface and still cant do what its designed to do at that price point...very disappointing indeed
For the money I have invested in this thing it should be performing like a beast. They totally oversell its functionality. Only real difference is you can now adjust the air. And it has an overflow sensor which will decrease pump speed if the cup gets filled.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the regal 150s int.
Fully apex controllable if needed.
Silent. Set and forget.
Best skimmer I've ever had and I've had a lot.
Never had one problem with it.

OP
OP
A

alexnyc22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that’s great and all but when fully invested into the Apex & Mobius ecosystem the last thing I want is a skimmer that now needs a controller. I got the sicce pump on its own hoping I could dial it in but it just goes crazy randomly. I just want something with the similar tech as the redsea that’s controllable through the Apex. I know it seems like a tall order but I was hoping I missed that one announcement lol

The other reason I am looking to upgrade or change skimmers is because I’m getting a new waterbox 330.7 and don’t know if this Red Sea is big enough or strong enough. Is anyone familiar with what fits in that size tank?

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that’s great and all but when fully invested into the Apex & Mobius ecosystem the last thing I want is a skimmer that now needs a controller. I got the sicce pump on its own hoping I could dial it in but it just goes crazy randomly. I just want something with the similar tech as the redsea that’s controllable through the Apex. I know it seems like a tall order but I was hoping I missed that one announcement lol

The other reason I am looking to upgrade or change skimmers is because I’m getting a new waterbox 330.7 and don’t know if this Red Sea is big enough or strong enough. Is anyone familiar with what fits in that size tank?
Gave you a skimmer in my post.
Just plug it into your apex and go no worries no hassle.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still confused as to what you want....people have suggested new skimmers that is controllable via apex if needed...which is exactly what you have asked. The Reef Octopus skimmers include a float switch that prevents it from overflowing. Are you saying you want what the red sea offers for the level sensor and automatic pump speed control to keep it at the optimal level without overflowing?

Just looking at the specs of the RSK 600 skimmer you have, Im quite surprised at the tank sizes and bio load it recommends. You would definitely need a bigger skimmer.

As for what fits, waterbox does list out the skimmer compartment sizes on their website, just look at the skimmers out there and see what fits within its footprint. If you are going to use a refugium then a skimmer with a footprint smaller than 16.3" × 20.4" would work. A reef octopus Elite 220-INT would work nicely

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alexnyc22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still confused as to what you want....people have suggested new skimmers that is controllable via apex if needed...which is exactly what you have asked. Are you saying you want what the red sea offers for the level sensor and automatic pump speed control to keep?

Just looking at the specs of the RSK 600 skimmer you have, Im quite surprised at the tank sizes and bio load it recommends. You would definitely need a bigger skimmer.

As for what fits, waterbox does list out the skimmer compartment sizes on their website, its easy to just look at the skimmers out there and see what fits within its footprint. If you are going to use a refugium then a skimmer with a footprint smaller than 16.3" × 20.4" would work. A reef octopus Elite 220-INT would work nicely
Thank you! I think that answers my question. Everyone seems to be suggesting the Reef Octopus. I get controllability and a shut off if it fills which is essentially what I need. From what I read before, the other part of the Red Sea upgrade, the part that slows down the pump if it’s “too wet”, actually prevents it from skimming properly.

Pavo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always buy used for very fair price if look long enough, take body and then buy pump separately with needed functions from any manufacturer. Its pretty easy get right one just look at air amount and neck diameter, its not exact sience and easy to combine, controllable dc even easier

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I think that answers my question. Everyone seems to be suggesting the Reef Octopus. I get controllability and a shut off if it fills which is essentially what I need. From what I read before, the other part of the Red Sea upgrade, the part that slows down the pump if it’s “too wet”, actually prevents it from skimming properly.
Honestly I think that is a gimmick. How TF do you collect skimmate then if the sensor detects it "overflowing" and throttles the pump?

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I think that is a gimmick. How TF do you collect skimmate then if the sensor detects it "overflowing" and throttles the pump?
I don’t think it just detects overflowing. There is a wetness threshold that helps determine what should be categorized as overflowing. If it detects that, it turns the pump down. Otherwise it just skims like normal. I have been running one about 6 weeks or so and no real issues yet.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah dude just get an Octopus. I have had A lot of skimmers over all the years .. I have not had a newer Red Sea but as some have described sounds like performance of the old school “triple pass Berlin” skimmer of past .. looks dope but not much skimate ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 152 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back