Tank - 120 Gallon SCA aquarium with shadow overflow
Sump - 40 Gallon breeder with Fiji sump kit
Skimmer - Aquamaxx Cones CO-1
Return pump - Vectra M1
Powrheads - MP40 x 2
Heaters - Eheim Jagger (250w)
ATO - Tunze Osmolator
Lighting - Kessil AP 9X

My ultimate goal is to have a mixed reef tank.

I am considering purchasing a controller to make my life easy. I am considering Apex and Hydros controllers. I need a controller that can achieve the following

1) Needs to be reliable and able to monitor reef parameters like Temp, ph, salinity, alkalinity, ca, mg etc.
2) Upfront cost and maintenance cost (reagents etc) also is a major factor for me
3) Compatibility with my existing equipment

Please let me know your thoughts and help me out with this purchase decision, as thanksgiving is almost here and both of these seem to be on sale now. I would really appreciate any advice.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want it to test parameters like alk and ca+, then you need the Apex plus a Trident or look into GHL products.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get something you can expand into. If you're a new reefer you'll need to monitor temp at a min. pH largely does what it's going to do but since most controllers come with pH as basic why not use it. And it's just as much as getting a PinPoint or equivalent. Don't bother with ORP (It's interesting I guess and I have it as it came with unit but I never do anything with the data - maybe if you're considering ozone in future).

That will keep cost down initially. A basic APEX unit would do fine. Don't really need power bar for monitoring (I didn't get a power bar for almost a year when I first started - just wanted to monitor and alert me if something went wrong).

Salinity isn't worth it - unreliable with controllers - just stick with refractometer.

Alk is too easy to sample with a Hanna (I don't recommend the other Hanna tests initially - grow into them). Use test kits for Mg, Ca as well. They don't change much quickly until you have a lot of high demand corals. Just not worth it when you can add on down the road.

Get a separate temp controller. Ranco or Inkbird and plug that into Apex if you get power bar. I used Inkbird with Eheim Jager heaters for year+ and just monitored temp with Apex. Worked great.

All that said. If part of reason you wanted in the hobby is to automate everything and make it hands off as possible, that's definitely a thing people like to do and you can find all that info on here as well.

OP
OP
P

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get something you can expand into. If you're a new reefer you'll need to monitor temp at a min. pH largely does what it's going to do but since most controllers come with pH as basic why not use it. And it's just as much as getting a PinPoint or equivalent. Don't bother with ORP (It's interesting I guess and I have it as it came with unit but I never do anything with the data - maybe if you're considering ozone in future).

That will keep cost down initially. A basic APEX unit would do fine. Don't really need power bar for monitoring (I didn't get a power bar for almost a year when I first started - just wanted to monitor and alert me if something went wrong).

Salinity isn't worth it - unreliable with controllers - just stick with refractometer.

Alk is too easy to sample with a Hanna (I don't recommend the other Hanna tests initially - grow into them). Use test kits for Mg, Ca as well. They don't change much quickly until you have a lot of high demand corals. Just not worth it when you can add on down the road.

Get a separate temp controller. Ranco or Inkbird and plug that into Apex if you get power bar. I used Inkbird with Eheim Jager heaters for year+ and just monitored temp with Apex. Worked great.

All that said. If part of reason you wanted in the hobby is to automate everything and make it hands off as possible, that's definitely a thing people like to do and you can find all
Thank you very much for your advice. Please let me know whether apex or hydros would be a better choice in my case.

Last edited:

laxer23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into the Hydros. It's easier, has all the same functionality with new abilities being added all the time. The Hydros is extremely redundant with each unit capable of supporting the entire systems functions. Support is responsive. cost is lower. Its being proven to be more reliable than the Apex, and if a software bug does come up, it's fixed very quick. The integration with other products is very good, they are open to working with anyone to bring new integrations in. Reagents are cheaper, testing is I think easier and the Alkatronic is more reliable than the Trident. Yes, it is true the Alkatronic only tests if you want to dose than you would need to also get the Dosetronic, but I believe its worth it over the trident. Right now they offer the Hydros starter pack, but soon they are releasing the pro pack witch will have the 8 outlet wired unit.

OP
OP
P

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into the Hydros. It's easier, has all the same functionality with new abilities being added all the time. The Hydros is extremely redundant with each unit capable of supporting the entire systems functions. Support is responsive. cost is lower. Its being proven to be more reliable than the Apex, and if a software bug does come up, it's fixed very quick. The integration with other products is very good, they are open to working with anyone to bring new integrations in. Reagents are cheaper, testing is I think easier and the Alkatronic is more reliable than the Trident. Yes, it is true the Alkatronic only tests if you want to dose than you would need to also get the Dosetronic, but I believe its worth it over the trident. Right now they offer the Hydros starter pack, but soon they are releasing the pro pack witch will have the 8 outlet wired unit.
Thanks a lot for your insights on Hydros. Its really helpfu.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both controllers will do what you want to do. I use the Hydros now. I did use an Archon before that. If you want to see some of the screenshots and some of the setup screens on the Hydros you can click on my build thread badge. The Hydros starts around post 119 on page 6 I believe. There is also some more info that might interest you if you are just starting out. I have a 42g hex tank with the support in the garage. The tank is around 34ft from the garage. I am very happy with the Hydros system. I now have 8 control units. I added to it over a several month period. So far I have not found anything that I was doing with the Archon that the Hydros cannot do. Also the Alkatronic and Mastertronic will interface with the Hydros, but I use the Hanna checkers for alkalinity, calcium and nitrate. They also have the phosphate but I have a different one for that. I usually only check those once a week. Alkalinity is the only one you might want more often. I also dose All For Reef. It is now avalible in a powder you mix with DI water.

OP
OP
P

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both controllers will do what you want to do. I use the Hydros now. I did use an Archon before that. If you want to see some of the screenshots and some of the setup screens on the Hydros you can click on my build thread badge. The Hydros starts around post 119 on page 6 I believe. There is also some more info that might interest you if you are just starting out. I have a 42g hex tank with the support in the garage. The tank is around 34ft from the garage. I am very happy with the Hydros system. I now have 8 control units. I added to it over a several month period. So far I have not found anything that I was doing with the Archon that the Hydros cannot do. Also the Alkatronic and Mastertronic will interface with the Hydros, but I use the Hanna checkers for alkalinity, calcium and nitrate. They also have the phosphate but I have a different one for that. I usually only check those once a week. Alkalinity is the only one you might want more often. I also dose All For Reef. It is now avalible in a powder you mix with DI water.
Thank you very much for the information about Hydros. I will take a look at your build thread.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my Apex. There's a short learning curve, it's easy to expand (with many options) and Neptune has excellent support. I have two temperature probes (handy), salinity (on par with lab grade refractometers), ORP, pH and even PAR. While salinity, ORP and PAR aren't necessarily mission critical - having more information is never a bad thing.

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that the most cost-efficient solution to monitor the basic parameters (which is what OP is asking for), the Apex/Trident combo is probably best. Basic Apex (no power bar) + Trident + PH Proble + Temp Probe would cost a bit over $1k. Hydros + Mastertronic/Alkatronic would cost considerably more.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with any controller other than the Apex. I bought my Apex about 6 months ago and I don't regret it at all. It does get expensive once you start adding all of the pumps, modules, trident, etc. Although any of the major brand controllers are expensive.

OU812Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a new reefer and have the following equipment

Tank - 120 Gallon SCA aquarium with shadow overflow
Sump - 40 Gallon breeder with Fiji sump kit
Skimmer - Aquamaxx Cones CO-1
Return pump - Vectra M1
Powrheads - MP40 x 2
Heaters - Eheim Jagger (250w)
ATO - Tunze Osmolator
Lighting - Kessil AP 9X

My ultimate goal is to have a mixed reef tank.

I am considering purchasing a controller to make my life easy. I am considering Apex and Hydros controllers. I need a controller that can achieve the following

1) Needs to be reliable and able to monitor reef parameters like Temp, ph, salinity, alkalinity, ca, mg etc.
2) Upfront cost and maintenance cost (reagents etc) also is a major factor for me
3) Compatibility with my existing equipment

Please let me know your thoughts and help me out with this purchase decision, as thanksgiving is almost here and both of these seem to be on sale now. I would really appreciate any advice.
Hydros control for control and monitoring

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Hydros devices that I’ve been running for almost a year. However, I’m going to go against the tide and say you don’t want automatic testing. You need to learn your tank and not become dependent on a machine testing for you. Testing manually and looking for signs in the tank that tie to those results is important. Hanna alkalinity, phosphate ulr, and nitrate hr, Salifert magnesium and calcium.

OP
OP
P

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Hydros devices that I’ve been running for almost a year. However, I’m going to go against the tide and say you don’t want automatic testing. You need to learn your tank and not become dependent on a machine testing for you. Testing manually and looking for signs in the tank that tie to those results is important. Hanna alkalinity, phosphate ulr, and nitrate hr, Salifert magnesium and calcium.
I have decided not to go with any automated testing for now. I bought the Hannah Reef kit and the salifert reef kit. I plan to do the manual testing for now. Maybe once my tank matures, I will consider automated testing. Please let me know whether you recommend automated dosing of the 2 part?.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided not to go with any automated testing for now. I bought the Hannah Reef kit and the salifert reef kit. I plan to do the manual testing for now. Maybe once my tank matures, I will consider automated testing. Please let me know whether you recommend automated dosing of the 2 part?.
I have been manually dosing 2-part for the last couple of years. I use ESV and measure alkalinity everyday and then dose both parts in equal amounts based on my alkalinity reading. I just bought the Red Sea ReefDose but haven’t set it up yet. If your tank is new, I don’t know that you’ll be dosing right away. But we also don’t know much about your tank. Did you already buy the apex?

OP
OP
P

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been manually dosing 2-part for the last couple of years. I use ESV and measure alkalinity everyday and then dose both parts in equal amounts based on my alkalinity reading. I just bought the Red Sea ReefDose but haven’t set it up yet. If your tank is new, I don’t know that you’ll be dosing right away. But we also don’t know much about your tank. Did you already buy the apex?
My tank is new and I might not need to dose until a little later. Currently I have 2 clownfish, 3 chromic and 1 firefish. I also have 5 corals (soft & LPS) corals. Yes, I already bought the Apex. One of the reason I went with Apex is that if I wanted to go the automated testing route later, it seemed like trident is more cheaper and more readily available as used. I am planning to dose manually for now with 2 part.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back