Apex vs Hydros

xtianGEO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef,

Thank you for taking the time to review my post. I've recently upgraded to a larger tank and am currently exploring options for controllers. While I have a brand new Apex system still in its box, I'm considering switching to Hydros. My experience with Apex has been somewhat disappointing, leading me to think it might be time for a change. However, transitioning to a Hydros system would mean purchasing an entirely new setup and investing in its ecosystem to achieve similar functionality. I'm open to making this change, but I'm cautious about moving from one unsatisfactory experience to potentially another. Additionally, could anyone advise on a fair asking price for my unopened Apex system?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pros and cons about both- just as many opinions as there are reefers! :)

I would say though (.. being heavily invested in Apex!) that if you're not happy and ready to try the Hydros - go for it! I'd love to be able to make the change. Not that I am desperately unhappy, I just feel that Hydros takes on a better, newer approach.

Add to that, that most Apex equipment appear to be sold out, no parts available and support in a free-fall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have LOTS of Apex gear: reliability and durability is variable:
OK - Good : head units, old eb8’s , Lights
OK. - serviceable: ATF, most modules, ATK, most probes, sensors, new EB8 ….Trident
Bad: 1” Flow sensors, WAV (discontinued) MXM

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Hydros, and I've never had anything else, so nothing to compare to. I like the "collective" approach, and how each controller is a redundant brain. Also, some things that are wi-fi, like the feeders, can be used on a different tank without a controller, just connected to an existing controller. It makes it easier to know what is going on.
I'm working on upgrading to Hydros on 2 more tanks... one step at a time.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hydros setup (2x XP8, 1x X4, and many wifi devices). I've been happy with the Hydros so far. While no solution is perfect, I feel like the Hydros is a good blend of ease of use and functionality. After setting mine up last fall, I decided to add a Frag tank in the basement and a Nano upstairs. I was able to purchase the inexpensive wifi power strips and add them to the system allowing me to extend to 2 additional tanks without a problem. This is not something I could have done with an Apex due to requiring a cable.

That said, both will accomplish the same tasks and since you have an Apex already, it's hard to justify buying everything all over again. Also, given that Apex has the ability to write code, you can probably do more customization, although, I have yet to encounter a situation where my Hydros cannot accomplish a task that I've conceived. The logic is a bit different, where you have to think a bit more carefully about the menu options available to fulfill a specific set of circumstances you are addressing, but it's all there once you adjust.

Connor At CoralVue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously I am going to be a bit bias as my username implies, however, I have this to share:

One of the major benefits of HYDROS would be this issue in the future! HYDROS is a completely modular system; at no point will ANY HYDROS equipment go obsolete...you want to expand in the future, just pick up another HYDROS Control. You separate part of your system into a smaller tank and break off some of your HYDROS to automate that tank!

Hydros offers an extremely user-friendly aquarium automation experience, zero coding; everything is a drop-down menu.

You may see that there are a lot of HYDROS Controls and you're wondering which one you need to start on, YOU CAN START WITH ANY! However, is that Hydros Control big enough, and have the ports available to do the jobs that you wish to do?

Maybe you decide to start small, when it's time to grow, that original device NEVER BECOMES OBSOLETE! You can just add on to the system, to grow your COLLECTIVE! Multiple HYDROS brains linked up, creating a redundant system, and a neural network of safety. If we release a new device, no need to sell the original one to get the newest and greatest, just add it on!

No modules! Accessories are extremely affordable, as long as you have the port available on a Hydros control, you can hook up that matching accessory.

The devices don't use outdated USB connections, HYDROS use CANBus, via command bus cable on GX-12 connectors, extremely reliable, and IP65 waterproof splash proof dustproof, aquarium stand proof We've seen too many aquarium equipments go bad with moisture, we didn't want that to happen to ours.

Partnering with other companies, YOU the end user should have the option to run whatever equipment you want. With HYDROS, We work hard to partner with other companies to incorporate their tech into our system. That way, the end user can have the best experience possible. So far we have integrated with Kamoer for the KH Carer, Focustronic for Alkatronic and Mastertronic, Sicce for their SDC Pumps...and more are coming....just you wait.

However, we have given away the software to test Alkalinity on HYDROS FOR FREE!!! The X10 has everything that is needed, so that is the most convenient route. However, all you need is a pH probe, HYDROS iV, and 3 Dosers. So, ANY HYDROS Control can test alkalinity, assuming you have those ports available.

Customer support, along with research and development, is our number one priority. Phone number, email, support portal, Facebook group, another Facebook group, and online forum are all available at your disposal. Call us, beep us, if you need to reach us.

It's going to be a HUGE year for HYDROS. Y'all will see, we aren't playing. ;)

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously I am going to be a bit bias as my username implies, however, I have this to share:

One of the major benefits of HYDROS would be this issue in the future! HYDROS is a completely modular system; at no point will ANY HYDROS equipment go obsolete...you want to expand in the future, just pick up another HYDROS Control. You separate part of your system into a smaller tank and break off some of your HYDROS to automate that tank!

Hydros offers an extremely user-friendly aquarium automation experience, zero coding; everything is a drop-down menu.

You may see that there are a lot of HYDROS Controls and you're wondering which one you need to start on, YOU CAN START WITH ANY! However, is that Hydros Control big enough, and have the ports available to do the jobs that you wish to do?

Maybe you decide to start small, when it's time to grow, that original device NEVER BECOMES OBSOLETE! You can just add on to the system, to grow your COLLECTIVE! Multiple HYDROS brains linked up, creating a redundant system, and a neural network of safety. If we release a new device, no need to sell the original one to get the newest and greatest, just add it on!

No modules! Accessories are extremely affordable, as long as you have the port available on a Hydros control, you can hook up that matching accessory.

The devices don't use outdated USB connections, HYDROS use CANBus, via command bus cable on GX-12 connectors, extremely reliable, and IP65 waterproof splash proof dustproof, aquarium stand proof We've seen too many aquarium equipments go bad with moisture, we didn't want that to happen to ours.

Partnering with other companies, YOU the end user should have the option to run whatever equipment you want. With HYDROS, We work hard to partner with other companies to incorporate their tech into our system. That way, the end user can have the best experience possible. So far we have integrated with Kamoer for the KH Carer, Focustronic for Alkatronic and Mastertronic, Sicce for their SDC Pumps...and more are coming....just you wait.

However, we have given away the software to test Alkalinity on HYDROS FOR FREE!!! The X10 has everything that is needed, so that is the most convenient route. However, all you need is a pH probe, HYDROS iV, and 3 Dosers. So, ANY HYDROS Control can test alkalinity, assuming you have those ports available.

Customer support, along with research and development, is our number one priority. Phone number, email, support portal, Facebook group, another Facebook group, and online forum are all available at your disposal. Call us, beep us, if you need to reach us.

It's going to be a HUGE year for HYDROS. Y'all will see, we aren't playing. ;)
Do you have any plans expanding to the UK market? :)

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef,

Thank you for taking the time to review my post. I've recently upgraded to a larger tank and am currently exploring options for controllers. While I have a brand new Apex system still in its box, I'm considering switching to Hydros. My experience with Apex has been somewhat disappointing, leading me to think it might be time for a change. However, transitioning to a Hydros system would mean purchasing an entirely new setup and investing in its ecosystem to achieve similar functionality. I'm open to making this change, but I'm cautious about moving from one unsatisfactory experience to potentially another. Additionally, could anyone advise on a fair asking price for my unopened Apex system?
I have not used Apex, but I do very much like my Hydros system. The app is great, the web interface is great, and it's all very intuitive. I haven't had to look at instructions for anything, it's so simple. Also, and this may or may not matter to you but it matters to me, I like the aesthetic of hydros much better. The modules themselves also seem really robust and well built, unlike the cheap plasticky feel of Apex.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never used Apex, my first controller has been Hydros and it’s grown with my as my system(s) grow. It has been able to do more than what I’m even capable of thinking of. For some reason Apex users say that Hydros can’t do really complicated tasks, however I haven’t seen any real life examples I think it’s just Apex users not understanding the true capabilities of Hydros. I have nothing bad to say about Apex since I’m not a user, and I also have nothing bad to say about Hydros, as a user.

Connor At CoralVue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any plans expanding to the UK market? :)

We desire, but the US Market keeps us busy beyond belief. Remember, we make all of these units in-house in Slidell, Louisiana. Software development is also done in house, we do not outsource.

The US has kept us very busy, and we need to fulfill that market before we can sell...let alone support an international market.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We desire, but the US Market keeps us busy beyond belief. Remember, we make all of these units in-house in Slidell, Louisiana. Software development is also done in house, we do not outsource.

The US has kept us very busy, and we need to fulfill that market before we can sell...let alone support an international market.
I respect that- home market first with no expansion before it is sustainable! :) Can't let them good customers down branching out too quickly!

Connor At CoralVue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never used Apex, my first controller has been Hydros and it’s grown with my as my system(s) grow. It has been able to do more than what I’m even capable of thinking of. For some reason Apex users say that Hydros can’t do really complicated tasks, however I haven’t seen any real life examples I think it’s just Apex users not understanding the true capabilities of Hydros. I have nothing bad to say about Apex since I’m not a user, and I also have nothing bad to say about Hydros, as a user.

Mac vs. PC, Android vs. iPhone. We have heard it all. It just shouldn't be that complicated to configure an aquarium controller.

HYDROS is writing lines of code...in the background. However, the end user gets a simple user interface that is building blocks.

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually started with Apex 3 Jr, but switched to Hydros. Apex was ok, but couple of sensors went bad quick. Switch to Hydrows - X2 Bundle at first (X2, probes, Wifi switch), but I quickly expanded from there. Now I have Kraken, X4, XP8, WEv2, couple of X2 (one for my mix station), and an XS (also in mix).

Connor At CoralVue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect that- home market first with no expansion before it is sustainable! :) Can't let them good customers down branching out too quickly!

It is worth noting that devices like the XP8 are compatible with 220v. So it will work overseas, we do have users in France, UK, Australia, Poland to name a few, just have to find a way to get it to ya and purchase the appropriate region adapters.

Connor At CoralVue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually started with Apex 3 Jr, but switched to Hydros. Apex was ok, but couple of sensors went bad quick. Switch to Hydrows - X2 Bundle at first (X2, probes, Wifi switch), but I quickly expanded from there. Now I have Kraken, X4, XP8, WEv2, couple of X2 (one for my mix station), and an XS (also in mix).
1707947255202.jpeg

Nice setup! I see a couple of extra Probe Ports, Drive Ports, and an XP8 outlet for the HYDROS Slow doser....you could set up HYDROS Alk Testing without purchasing a new HYDROS Control... There is a tip that'll save ya $600 at least ;)

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mac vs. PC, Android vs. iPhone. We have heard it all. It just shouldn't be that complicated to configure an aquarium controller.

HYDROS is writing lines of code...in the background. However, the end user gets a simple user interface that is building blocks.
I’ve been thoroughly enjoying my Hydros-

Currently running an XP8, X10, and WELE on a mixed reef, and an XP8, WaveEngine, and Kamoer KH Carer on an acro tank. Really happy with all of it. Customer service has always taken good care of me as well, even in weak moments of panic lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back