Controlling/Eradicating Vermetid Snails

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm learning these things aren't the devil. I've actually let them grow with some corals like monti's which will just keep encrusting up the tube as it grows. Makes for easy fragging lol.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice "cup half full" outlook in life. lol Mine were just too closed to some high end SPSs and the web was irritating the SPSs. I have some closer to my euphyilla space and that I didn't care, because it didn't seem to both them. Tubes still look dead.! =)

Chriscrna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had them on everything for about a year. Then, just like that, they completely disappeared about a year ago.

VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I read a post yesterday on this very thing.
Melev's reef on youtube has a video about zapping apatsia with a high powered laser.
The same technique seems to work for Vermetid Snails. You can actually cook them in their shells.
I've been hammering them all day. Seems to be killing them.

Chriscrna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is your fish list like? Any possible inverts that might eat them? Arrow crab maybe?
Nothing in the tank that would eat them. I had thousands of them, and they just went away. I have an ULNS now, so perhaps that had something to do with their eradication. I wish I had a more intelligible answer, but I really don't know why they vanished.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing in the tank that would eat them. I had thousands of them, and they just went away. I have an ULNS now, so perhaps that had something to do with their eradication. I wish I had a more intelligible answer, but I really don't know why they vanished.

when you say they went away, do you mean the thousands of tubes also disappeared?

HexaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I read a post yesterday on this very thing.
Melev's reef on youtube has a video about zapping apatsia with a high powered laser.
The same technique seems to work for Vermetid Snails. You can actually cook them in their shells.
I've been hammering them all day. Seems to be killing them.
What kind of laser? Photon!?

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of laser? Photon!?
Melev used something like this. It is called the Gatling laser. They are not cheap. Mine was under $150 online I believe it is 10 watts? I am sure that a 3 watt that was well focused would easily burn anything in a standard 24 inch wide tank.

The Melev used it on Aptasia. I never was able to kills those with it. It burns best on colored things. It moves right through glass and water and transparent anemones. You can boil the water around them by hitting the rock they are attached to. I cut clear plexiglass with a 75 watt laser that is perfectly focused, but I am not sure that could be done with a hand held device.

I couldn't make much of a dent in bubble algae either. You can hear both things crackle and boil, and I do think with persistence you could pull it off, but I would not call them an end all by any means.

It will easily destroy snails. I have killed several pest snails in my freshwater aquarium with it. In the reef you can boil vermatid snails and limpets with no problem. Some times I write my name in my encrusting corals when I am bored.

It is really more of a luxury toy than a tool.

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melev used something like this. It is called the Gatling laser. They are not cheap. Mine was under $150 online I believe it is 10 watts? I am sure that a 3 watt that was well focused would easily burn anything in a standard 24 inch wide tank.

The Melev used it on Aptasia. I never was able to kills those with it. It burns best on colored things. It moves right through glass and water and transparent anemones. You can boil the water around them by hitting the rock they are attached to. I cut clear plexiglass with a 75 watt laser that is perfectly focused, but I am not sure that could be done with a hand held device.

I couldn't make much of a dent in bubble algae either. You can hear both things crackle and boil, and I do think with persistence you could pull it off, but I would not call them an end all by any means.

It will easily destroy snails. I have killed several pest snails in my freshwater aquarium with it. In the reef you can boil vermatid snails and limpets with no problem. Some times I write my name in my encrusting corals when I am bored.

It is really more of a luxury toy than a tool.
IMG_3610.jpeg
IMG_3610.jpeg

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on that spot where you saw it eat the snails to see if they return. The tricky part about vermetid snails is they can retract quite a bit to protect themselves from laser (I've tried) and whatever may be trying to eat it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back