Converting 125 stand to hold a 210

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone out there ever converted a stand to hold a bigger tank?? I have a 125 gallon Aqueon tank. Looking around and saw a 210 thats six feet like mine but has more height and width than mine, also aqueon with the same set up for overflows. I was looking to see if anyone would have any ideas on how I could build my stand out to support this tank as I cant afford a whole new set up. This is my exact tank

IMG_3007.png

Sassafras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of what is your stand constructed? If wood, I built out a 72"x20" wood stand to 72"x24" to upsize from a 150 gal. to a 230 gal. There are some master woodworkers on this forum and I'm certainly not one of them. Limited skills, but it wasn't too hard to end up with a solid stand I could trust. Sorry I don't have any pictures except these two. I basically framed out an extension the size of the extra width I needed from 3/4" lumber, then attached it to the back of my stand for vertical support. I used single piece of 3/4" plywood as a top, spanning the original stand and extension. Just got to make sure the two sections are perfectly level.

Stand upsize2.JPG Stand upsize1.JPG

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of what is your stand constructed? If wood, I built out a 72"x20" wood stand to 72"x24" to upsize from a 150 gal. to a 230 gal. There are some master woodworkers on this forum and I'm certainly not one of them. Limited skills, but it wasn't too hard to end up with a solid stand I could trust. Sorry I don't have any pictures except these two. I basically framed out an extension the size of the extra width I needed from 3/4" lumber, then attached it to the back of my stand for vertical support. I used single piece of 3/4" plywood as a top, spanning the original stand and extension. Just got to make sure the two sections are perfectly level.

Stand upsize2.JPG Stand upsize1.JPG
Ah okay thank you!! Yeah its wood ai just wasnt sure if anyone has tried it. Hopefully some of those wood workers comment too! Thank you for the reply. Did you have to calculate weight of the tank at all or did you just build it out with the wood you mentioned and felt it would hold?

Sassafras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original stand was made of 3/4" pine. I used the same wood on the buildout. Being only about 6" deep, the added part was sturdier than the original stand. I had confidence that it would bear the weight with no problem. What I was most careful about was getting the two sections exactly level. On the original stand, the tank set on a 1 1/2" rim with an open bottom. I added a 3/4" plywood top to the whole stand after building it out, which gave me a single, flat, level surface for the tank to set on. I added a 1/2" foam board on top of the plywood to conform to any irregularities.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's possible. Let's see what you are working with. You probably won't be able to match the stain. Sanders are cheap and staining is simple. I'm really into gel stains now and that is probably the best for a newb. It requires several top coats, though.

Sassafras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple more pics, not too good but maybe you can make it out, of the added part from inside the stand. Mikeltee is right, matching the stain to really look professional is hard. I didn't come very close with my attempt, as you can see in my earlier post showing the cabinet with the added width.

Attachments

• IMG_2324.JPG
    IMG_2324.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2323.JPG
    IMG_2323.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible. Let's see what you are working with. You probably won't be able to match the stain. Sanders are cheap and staining is simple. I'm really into gel stains now and that is probably the best for a newb. It requires several top coats, though.
Not worried about the stain! The tank actually is painted black with typical house paint. The guy I got this tank from bought an aqueon tank and a random fish tank stand rated for a 125 and then painted it black lol so that makes it easier on me since its not a true stain which makes that part easier I guess!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back