Converting molies to salt water.

Recipe2reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone how’s it going? I would like to know how to convert fresh water mollies to live in my salt water system ?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t take my advice. But two people in my reef club literally just drop them in. They say they lose a portion of the bunch but they reproduce quite quickly. And nothing seems to eat the fry. Now they have a molly problem.

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acclimate for a couple of hours then plop them in. My fry don't last in the display but do grow in the sump. I tend to lose adults to the powerheads. They cant swim good enough to not get stuck. I may try some more now I have a gyre.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's Humblefish's complete use, setup, acclimation, etc. on The Black Molly Test:

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would Drip them over a couple hours like any regular saltwater fish when I was doing it. I will admit, I did suffer losses, but perhaps 4 of 20. All the rest survived. Well, at least until my lion found them.

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have slow drip acclimated 2 mollies over a 6 hour period to salinity of 1.026 with no problems. They are great algae eaters and poopers Converted them over a year ago still going strong GOOD LUCK

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this a couple months ago. I started with 5 mollies and slowly acclimated them over many hours with a slow drip and an air-stone in the acclamation tank. After the acclamation I dropped them into the tank and they all slowly died over the next several days that followed except for 1. The one that survived is fully acclimated now and is best homies with my purple tang. If I did this over I would have gone much much longer with the acclamation. Maybe even acclimate over many days.... Regardless of how you go about its very possible that you might have some loss so don't be too hard on yourself. Good Luck!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I converted a fresh molly to a salt molly over 4 days in a small glass bowl. Just ran an airstone and would remove some water 3 times a day adding back salt water. I did it slow and gentle and the molly is doing great with all my other fish in the QT.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For me was “ PLOP AND DROP “

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tried a slow drip over hours and still lost more than I would care to admit. I didn't lose any when I had a spare 2.5 or 5 gallon tank, I can't remember which. I started it off as a fresh water setup, just an air stone and a small HOB I also had laying around. I replaced evaporation with salt water so it was a very slow conversion. But I didn't lose any that way, in fact 3 of them had babies during the conversion so I ended up giving away about 27 mollies..

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 14.3%
Back