Convict Tang Erratic Swimming and Breathing Heavily

HWDylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a convict tang in my 300 gallon (8ft long) that has been in the display for around a month. I noticed odd behavior tonight. He has been swimming very erratically and breathing very heavily. He will dart around and then swim on his side for a second. He almost looks like he is struggling to properly right himself... I am not sure though.

This is a fish that went through a full copper treatment in QT as well as Prazi and a Ruby Reef Rally bath before he went into the display. I can see no visible signs of anything wrong with him other than the behavior. He is eating perfectly fine and even continues to pick at the rocks in between the bouts.

No other fish in the tank show any signs of similar behavior.

I feed several times a day and alternate frozen and pellet food soaked in Selcon. Nori is fed every day and he eats tons of it.

Parameters:
NO3: 0-1ppm
PO4: 0.04ppm
pH: ~8.1
Alk: 8.2dkh
Cal: 420ppm
Mg: 1350ppm

Any ideas?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More often than not, swim bladder/bloat they will swim upside down a lot.

Could be something else.

OP
OP
HWDylan

HWDylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More often than not, swim bladder/bloat they will swim upside down a lot.

Could be something else.
Honestly he does look ... fat...

I can't tell if that is just a full belly (because he eats non stop) or actual bloating though.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a good read:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-diseases-101.189284/

Swim Bladder Disorder/fish constipation:

Symptoms - Both of these have identical symptoms, but fish with swim bladder disorder generally do not survive. So your best bet is to treat for constipation and hope for the best. The fish will swim erratically, and appear to have difficulty maintaining its equilibrium. It may appear buoyant at the surface of the water, sometimes swimming in circles.

Treatment options - Feed 1 or 2 peeled boiled green peas (same kind you & I eat). Repeat daily even if the fish’s condition improves. The fiber contained in the peas will help “push things out.” If dealing with a fish that refuses to eat, you can try Epsom salt (as a laxative) or an antibiotic such as Kanamycin (aka Seachem Kanaplex) that lists diarrhea as a possible side effect.

Back