Convict tang spazzing

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this guy for 8 months and I’ve seen this behavior from him before but it’s happening very frequently now. He was the last fish I’ve added and he seems to be darting back and forth, swimming on his side a bit and overall skittish. The only things that have gone in after him are coral and inverts. He was very skinny when I got him but he’s a good size now. He always has access to vegggies and gets fed LRS one time a day. He has a voracious appetite, always has. Any idea of what’s up with him?

It seems like it’s stress from being in too small of a tank to me, but it’s a juvenile convict tang and it’s a 120. I thought he would be fine even when an adult in my tank, so that makes me think something else is going on. All other fish are behaving normally.

OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F945C96D-7C04-4AF8-8C63-7B620A7F4148.jpeg

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey there! The video won't play for me but I know exactly what you are referring to. I've experienced the same with convict tangs. I purchased 3 convicts together in May. They were beautiful swimming together so tightly. Then the spazzing started happening. Long story short. Two died one survived. The survivor still does this.
I spoke with Dr. Reef about this. He explained to me that the reason this is happening is because of the way the fish are caught in captivity. The divers hit the schools of convict with cyanide. It makes it easier to capture. However, it is causing long term effects on the fish, such as what you are I experience. Many, if not most, do not make it. Dr. Reef will not even sell convicts anymore for this reason.
I know this won't help correct the behavior but at least it gives some insight as to what is happening. Such a shame because convicts are the most voracious algae eaters from the tang group.

OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww man. I’ve heard of this before but never experienced it and this thought didn’t cross my mind. What a bummer. He was hard to get to eat and I didn’t think he was going to make it and he pulled through and was fat and happy. What a shame. I hate this part of the hobby and I won’t buy another convict if they are known to be caught with cyanide. I’m totally bummed. He will be my first and only loss, because he seems to be progressing. Thanks for the reply even though it was bad news.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aww man. I’ve heard of this before but never experienced it and this thought didn’t cross my mind. What a bummer. He was hard to get to eat and I didn’t think he was going to make it and he pulled through and was fat and happy. What a shame. I hate this part of the hobby and I won’t buy another convict if they are known to be caught with cyanide. I’m totally bummed. He will be my first and only loss, because he seems to be progressing. Thanks for the reply even though it was bad news.
Well my one survivor is still hanging strong. It still spazzes out suddenly but nothing comes of it. I’ve had for 3 months.

Ninic Luka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! The video won't play for me but I know exactly what you are referring to. I've experienced the same with convict tangs. I purchased 3 convicts together in May. They were beautiful swimming together so tightly. Then the spazzing started happening. Long story short. Two died one survived. The survivor still does this.
I spoke with Dr. Reef about this. He explained to me that the reason this is happening is because of the way the fish are caught in captivity. The divers hit the schools of convict with cyanide. It makes it easier to capture. However, it is causing long term effects on the fish, such as what you are I experience. Many, if not most, do not make it. Dr. Reef will not even sell convicts anymore for this reason.
I know this won't help correct the behavior but at least it gives some insight as to what is happening. Such a shame because convicts are the most voracious algae eaters from the tang group.
is spazzing something like this

Attachments

• IMG_9433.MP4
    60.3 MB

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back