Cooking Dry Rock in my Saltwater Bin

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I suspect I already know the answer to my question but thought I'd throw it out anyway...

I currently have a relatively new, but "established" tank. I am likely going to be upgrading to a new/larger tank when I move later on this year (maybe early next).

I would like to get rock ready for the new tank and have it all set up and cycled/ready to go on the other end of the move (it's my girlfriend's house so I can set it up and cycle it in the month or so before I move in).

Can I just put a bunch of new Marco rock in my saltwater bin and let it cook in the dark? Do I need to add some rubble from my current tank or is that going to mess with the water in my salt water bin?

Ideally the new tank will be set up and cycled on the other end (with this rock) so all I have to do is transplant livestock from the old to the new and ready-to-go tank.

I think that all makes sense.... :)

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently did this to prepare for a transfer from a 45g cube to my new IM 100EXT. You can put rubble in there if you are sure there are no bad hitch hikers. I built my aquascape in sections, put them in the rubbermaid can, added the salt water with a heater and flow. I then added a chunk of LRS food to rot and create the ammonia. Over the next several months I dose at least 5 kinds of nitrifying bacteria plus AF Life Source once per week. At times I really overdosed the bac. End result is after the transfer I had a mild red/brown algae outbreak that lasted three days then disappeared. The 100EXT has been running for two weeks now, looks clean and levels are great. All is stable with my live stock. Planning ahead like this saves a ton of headaches. Get the bacteria into the rock and working long before you set up the new system.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new Marco rock won't have any old organics or anything on it so you can skip the curing process and just cycle it.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longer you can dark cycle the rock the better. Get a nice biofilm ahead of time.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back