Cool vibes: How do you lower the temperature in your tank?

How do you lower the temperature in your tank? (select all that apply)

• Chiller

Votes: 38 13.5%
  • Fans

Votes: 128 45.4%
  • Room air conditioning

Votes: 173 61.3%
  • Turning off equipment

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • Other

Votes: 25 8.9%

• Total voters

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapped my 120 VAC Return and Skimmer Pumps out for Simplicity 24 Vdc Pumps. So far I haven’t had to run the fans. So even more electrical savings. Also on my New Canopy, I modified it and took the top off, to let the heat out from the lights.

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
630am here in socal and my 20g is already 81 degrees. Any idea how much you can expect to drop with a typical clip on fan?

I have a 30 gallon frag tank that used to be plumbed into a second frag tank with temperature control but I recently separated them. A clip on fan connected to my Apex reduced the temperature from 88° to a constant 80°.

Temperature graph.jpg

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon frag tank that used to be plumbed into a second frag tank with temperature control but I recently separated them. A clip on fan connected to my Apex reduced the temperature from 88° to a constant 80°.

Temperature graph.jpg
That’s wild! Do you mind linking the fan you use? I haven’t seen many that look compatible with a diy lid.

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s wild! Do you mind linking the fan you use? I haven’t seen many that look compatible with a diy lid.

The one I use is nothing special, but it works great to control the tank temperature. It's a general purpose 6" fan on a clip. Not nearly as elegant as the fans made by the OP.

Aquarium fan.jpg

Chris Shelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That @TheHarold is an awesome dude! I have this same fan cooling my 40AIO via Apex and 24V! Works like a dream! They are designed to fit a rimless tank but due to the fact we have both done CNC machine work and speak the same code he fabricated a bar i used on top of our lid which acts as a lip to hang the fan on. Highly recommended! And If you can think it and "some what" draw or describe what you envision, he can print it!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That @TheHarold is an awesome dude! I have this same fan cooling my 40AIO via Apex and 24V! Works like a dream! They are designed to fit a rimless tank but due to the fact we have both done CNC machine work and speak the same code he fabricated a bar i used on top of our lid which acts as a lip to hang the fan on. Highly recommended! And If you can think it and "some what" draw or describe what you envision, he can print it!

Thanks for the kind words! It was fun working on your custom solution.

Dune74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dual Fans suspended above one side of my tank connected to a Inkbird controller. Tank stays around 77 to 78 degrees.

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Room AC since this hot summer. Until now I used fans and it was ok.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back