Cool vibes: How do you lower the temperature in your tank?

How do you lower the temperature in your tank? (select all that apply)

• Chiller

Votes: 38 13.5%
  • Fans

Votes: 128 45.4%
  • Room air conditioning

Votes: 173 61.3%
  • Turning off equipment

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • Other

Votes: 25 8.9%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool vibes: How do you lower the temperature in your tank?

With the temperatures spiking for many of us, the heat can become an issue for our tanks as well as for us. Let’s talk about what you do when the temperature in your tank starts to climb. Some people keep their tank cool by keeping the whole room cool with their air conditioning system and others use a chiller connected to their tank so the tank has it’s own “air conditioner”. Another approach is to add a fan (or fans) that blow into the sump or across the top of the tank. It is also possible to turn off non-critical reactors or anything producing heat in the reef system. Changing out glass lids for screens can impact the temperature in the tank. Of course, floating containers of ice in the sump is also possible. There are many ways to cool your tank and many times a combination of several of these options is the best approach. Please tell us what works for you and how you cool your tank.

Pro Tip: Cleaning the pumps in your system can keep them from working harder and adding additional heat. Also, knowing how much heat each of the pumps (and other heat-producing devices) can be helpful to managing the temperature in the tank as it reaches the upper boundaries for the health of your corals.

Harold_Fan.jpeg

Photo and fan design by @TheHarold

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsBanner.png

"Our mission is to help save the reefs by providing the highest quality live reef foods for every aquarium - from small biocubes to mid-sized reef aquariums, to giant aquaculture facilities"

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a small clip fan that works perfectly to maintain temp in my sps tank. It was over heating a little until I installed it. Thanks again for the reminder! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a small clip fan that works perfectly to maintain temp in my sps tank. It was over heating a little until I installed it. Thanks again for the reminder! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
630am here in socal and my 20g is already 81 degrees. Any idea how much you can expect to drop with a typical clip on fan?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
630am here in socal and my 20g is already 81 degrees. Any idea how much you can expect to drop with a typical clip on fan?
On my tank I have to cycle it on and off because it lowers it too much. At least 3 degrees. I'm trying to dial it in so the outlet doesn't keep cycling so much.
Screenshot_20230712-092936~2.png

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is way more effective than I would have thought! Thanks for sharing!
I owe it to @Peace River for posting a thread about fans. I never needed one until this year. I even cleaned my pumps, but was still getting too warm with uv light on during the day.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i run my heaters around 72-73
combined with room temps (central air/hvac)
being 71 year round….

the tanks rarely gets above 78,
even in the hottest summer days

(i’ve tried fans before, too much evap for me)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a fan across my sump, central air in the house and a Teco 1000 chiller unit maintaining 77.9 - 78.2

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other. My normal temp is 75-76 so that gives me some leeway and the most I've seen the tank get is 78. Tank is in the basement so I've never had to actively lower the temp.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep the room (View out basement level) about 75-78F summer & winter. I have a fan that blows airover the DT's surface. It is controlled by an Inkbird controller. With T5's and quality pumps, the fan doesn't come on unless the AC fails. The tanks stays 77-80 F. The controller is plugged into a battery back-up just in case.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i keep my tank at 77-78 degrees. my apartment is small so with the AC we have, it keep the tank where it needs to be during the warmer months.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fans get it done for me (not so much back in the metal halide days). Evaporation can dissipate a lot of heat, if I leave my fans on full time they can pull out more heat than my main heater can provide and the tank could over cool, I control them with my APEX (and have a secondary heater). The included graph shows a couple of recent days where the tank needed heat at night and fans during the day.

As stated by others, you do need an ATO system that can keep up with the evap.

Attachments

• Tank After.jpg
    Tank After.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Temp.jpg
    Temp.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 52

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a box fan over the sump linked to my Apex, plus I have about a dozen water bottles in the freezer I can add to the sump if the temps ever get above 79.2. My Apex ATK top off will throw an error some days due to the higher evaporation though. Wish it learned a little quicker, LOL...

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A combination. I don't run my house A/C down all that low (75-77 degrees typically) so other methods are required. I don't use fans because they dump too much humidity into the house air. I got rid of my energy hog of a chiller last year. Now I use geothermal, well, sort of.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Room temp is normally 76-77f and I have a 8" clip on fan controlled by my apex. Tank normally sits about 78f year round. Without the fan I would see temps nearing 83f in the summer.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping ambient temperature below 78 degrees in the home and running DC external pump on manifold for return and equipment.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back