Coolest gadget in modern reefing

  • Thread starter Thread starter Science/G
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Science/G

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 26, 2021
Messages
3,874
Reaction score
3,266
Location
Miami
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like controllable wave makers are the coolest gadgets in modern reefing. Watching soft corals or long tentacle LPS swaying and undulating, going from getting intense flow to barely any at all, is mesmerizing. Randomized flow is the cherry on top in reefing, all thanks to wavemakers. My new Dragon Soul Torch is in the sweet spot!

Two minutes of a random cycle. It is worth the watch, and effort, for reefers to employ this relatively easy and satisfying strategy. IMHO
 
Last edited:
I agree and I will add on automated testing / dosing. Maintaining stable alkalinity was always a pain point for me, and having a device sample my water and dose it automatically has been a game changer
 
whats your secret vintage? i just tested and see my alk is at 6.9 a day after water change....
 
Although old school the Sea Sweeps are my choice. Minimal pumps in tank and awesome random flow.
20250125_094442.jpg
 
whats your secret vintage? i just tested and see my alk is at 6.9 a day after water change....
I use kh guardian. 400$ for standalone system to test and dose alkalinity supplement as needed. Reagent is 20$ for a pack that lasts 2 months. And the alk supplement costs less than a buck to last a month. 65 gram baking soda mixed with 1000ml rodi.

I did opt to spend 30$ to upgrade the unit to wifi, and I bought a 20$ fine micron filter to protect the device from sucking in sand or particles. You can dm me if you want pics or more info
 
Totally dig the flow - great job!

I’m pretty set in flow myself. My tank has 4 MP60s, two on Reef Crest and two on Nutrient Exports mode, very crazy and random flow! Additionally, I have 4 RFG return nozzles from powerful return pumps. Best part — no wires inside the tank and the black MP60s blend in the background.

The best tech for me is actually low-tech: calcium reactor that keeps my tank stable year-round! :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new