Copepod culture

IIDRYWATERII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Phyto culture been going well so decided to start doing pods….
Noticed plenty of pods running around but also build up at bottom of container…..

Picture attached…..
Can someone give on-site to what it is…. Either contamination, dead pods or other and correct me if I’m doing anything wrong…..

Looks like build up like when you clean sponges out ( brown little bits )

Sterilised jar with rubbing alcohol, added pods and feed pod culture feed as per instructions….. lights on lowest setting via adjustable dimmer for 12 hours…..

Thanks

image.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not clear in the pic, but its called mulm, which is a collection of dead pods, pod waste, dead phyto, etc... Its a normal buildup in all our cultures. It won't harm the culture until harvest time about 3-4 weeks. Then I clean the container out completely and start over again.

OP
OP
IIDRYWATERII

IIDRYWATERII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not clear in the pic, but its called mulm, which is a collection of dead pods, pod waste, dead phyto, etc... Its a normal buildup in all our cultures. It won't harm the culture until harvest time about 3-4 weeks. Then I clean the container out completely and start over again.
Thanks for the good info….

OP
OP
IIDRYWATERII

IIDRYWATERII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the good info….
Best way to Harvest is by running through a 50 micron filter and try to keep as much of the mulm out of the new cycle?

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's called mulm that's the good stuff . Leave it until it becomes really thick then reboot the culture

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back