Copepods in Sump

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I dosed pods a few days ago, I put them in the sump and let them settle for about half an hour before switching the pumps back on, for that day I could see them just drifting around the water in my sump. I now can’t see any and it gives me a few questions.

1. If the pods are in my return pump chamber (where my ATO fills up) will fresh RO water kill the pods due to a swing in salinity? If not is this the best place to put media? As I want to get a skimmer but don’t want to be sucking the pods out of the wate

2. Can the pods live in 24:7 lighting as my refugium light is on constantly

Many thanks

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they are in your return pump chamber, they will most likely get sucked into the display. The ATO shouldnt swing the salinity enough to cause any difference.

Last edited:

MakerofThings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're fine.

But chaeto doesn't NEED to be lit 24/7 either.

But regardless, they'll be fine. With pods, if you see one there are a thousand more hidden, they'll be everywhere in your tank already.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods are world-class hiders.... they'd win every hide-and-go-seek game.

They also spread quicker than scandalous news....

Betcha you got pods under your bed while you're sleeping....

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pods won't care about the lighting, they mostly just need some algae and POM to chew on, and they will be ok. Generally speaking most of them can survive an encounter with the pump, only the larger ones are likely to get shredded. Skimmers are brutal on them however, so if the skimmer is in the path, they won't make it past that to the display.

Even the ATO water won't be a big deal, unless you are dumping literal gallons in all at once. A little swing is fine.

They do just need somewhere to live, if you have an empty sump, then they have nowhere to hang out, and will just swim into the pump.

Wait a week or two, and harvest some algae from the sump, and rinse it out, you should see a ton of them come off.

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pods won't care about the lighting, they mostly just need some algae and POM to chew on, and they will be ok. Generally speaking most of them can survive an encounter with the pump, only the larger ones are likely to get shredded. Skimmers are brutal on them however, so if the skimmer is in the path, they won't make it past that to the display.

Even the ATO water won't be a big deal, unless you are dumping literal gallons in all at once. A little swing is fine.

They do just need somewhere to live, if you have an empty sump, then they have nowhere to hang out, and will just swim into the pump.

Wait a week or two, and harvest some algae from the sump, and rinse it out, you should see a ton of them come off.
Brill! I’ve moved some of my ceramic media into the return chamber for them, as I plan to get a skimmer, i’d like to have a healthy colony of pods so I can get a mandarin goby and not need to worry about him starving to death, the ato probably tops up a litre if that.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you recommend? 12 on 12 off? And alternate with my tank lights?
Yes 12, 12 would be a starting point. You could go for 18hrs on and still consider it natural. Stuff needs to sleep. Opposite to your display tank lights is good, mainly just to minimise pH fluctuations.

Edit. I noticed your other thread about crappy looking algae stuff in your sump. This can certainly be caused by exudates released by stressed chaeto.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 12, 12 would be a starting point. You could go for 18hrs on and still consider it natural. Stuff needs to sleep. Opposite to your display tank lights is good, mainly just to minimise pH fluctuations.

Edit. I noticed your other thread about crappy looking algae stuff in your sump. This can certainly be caused by exudates released by stressed chaeto.
Will this new schedule improve growth from the chaeto? I’m all new to this refugium thing tbh

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Chaeto or rocks will house pods happily. Return pump will carry some to the display tank

Shar29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get overrun with pods in your sump it will look like this. My light was on 16 hours a day and the pods like to bath in the sun. Looks like they at the beach getting a tan!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back