Copper Banded Butterfly Fish, Help!

Brian Kennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After putting the CBB in my tank, he took immediate interest in the Coral Banded Shrimp. So much so that he was crashing his head into the rocks trying to get the shrimp. The CBB was a good eater from day one and continues to eat, but I'm worried that the contusion on his head is going to be fatal. Any thoughts on how I might save him? I don't have a QT.

Livestock:
2 Occelaris Clowns
Flame Angel
Powder Brown
3 green chromis
Comb Tooth Blenny
Halloween Hermit
Blue Knuckle Hermit
Emerald Crab
Strawberry Crab
Coral Banded Shrimp
Pistol Shrimp (which I think at my CBS)

CBB.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After putting the CBB in my tank, he took immediate interest in the Coral Banded Shrimp. So much so that he was crashing his head into the rocks trying to get the shrimp. The CBB was a good eater from day one and continues to eat, but I'm worried that the contusion on his head is going to be fatal. Any thoughts on how I might save him? I don't have a QT.

Livestock:
2 Occelaris Clowns
Flame Angel
Powder Brown
3 green chromis
Comb Tooth Blenny
Halloween Hermit
Blue Knuckle Hermit
Emerald Crab
Strawberry Crab
Coral Banded Shrimp
Pistol Shrimp (which I think at my CBS)

CBB.jpg

Definitely looks like a bacterial infection.

Move the fish to QT and start either NFG or the Trifecta immediately. (Kanaplex, Metroplex, and Furan-2).

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a QT? Are there any other options?

No, not really. Go get a cheap QT set up, then you will have it going forward. The setup will cost less than the fish in that photo!

Good luck, I know how frustrating these things are.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agreee with the above.. A CBB Can be a delicate fish and there health will go down hill fast . QT And medication is best

everyone and myself absolutely love our Copper Banded Butterfly, I think it , My Matted file fish, and the Hawaiian Hawk fish are my most active... But we also have Giant Yellow ,Scopes and Lavender Tang. The LAVENDER KEEPS EGOS in check...

OP
OP
Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if I could get a QT set up tonight, where the heck to I get fish meds? I think Petco carries Furan-2. At what point do I remove the sick fish for the sake of the tank? Sorry, but I'm a noob and purchased a fish I probably shouldn't have.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not really. Go get a cheap QT set up, then you will have it going forward. The setup will cost less than the fish in that photo!

Good luck, I know how frustrating these things are.

Agree 100%

You can literally use a 10g or 20g to treat with ABX for 14 days and done.

I have a 10g that I just used short term for a Moorish Idol that had a bacterial infection.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if I could get a QT set up tonight, where the heck to I get fish meds? I think Petco carries Furan-2. At what point do I remove the sick fish for the sake of the tank? Sorry, but I'm a noob and purchased a fish I probably shouldn't have.
They probably have Metroplex as well.

Put it this way. Starting Furan-2 alone or furan and metro until you can get the other is far better than nothing.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with quarantine an antibiotics ASAP. Once it stops eating (soon if sick) it’s over. Good luck!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on all of above. Sorry to be giving you bad news but once a CBB starts showing these "red spots/sores" the clock is ticking and you really, really have to move fast to save it. The infection seems to be bacterial and attacks the fish's blood and organs rather quickly. A bath in Ruby Reef Rally which has both antibiotic and antiseptic and then dosing with Nitrofuracine Green Powder seems to work the fastest in helping the fish's immune system fight the infection. If no NFG powder, you can use the trifecta of Furan2 + Metro + Kanaplex or Triple Sulfa + Neoplex. Best of luck. But hurry. Beautiful fish.

OP
OP
Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just not sure I can pull all of this together in the hour that petco is still open. anyone in Jersey have the means and desire to care for a sick CBB?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other LFS? I’d stock up on meds and have them on hand.

Craigslist a tank for a qt

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 55 41.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.3%
Back