Copper EDTA in Kent Essential Marine...Harmful?

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy

Long time since talking with you last. Hope all is well.
I have a fully stocked 180 gallon Acro system thats doing well. I'm interested in trying Kent Essential Elements formula, but it contains Copper EDTA. I've read that its harmful for Fish and Corals, especially in a reef aquarium system...if so, why would Kent Marine use such an element in one of it's products? Please elaborate...Thank you for your time and cooperation

RazorRamon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be a normal or safe copper reading in an aquarium? I just checked mine with my Hanna and it's 0.07. snails look happy so do my torches.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be a normal or safe copper reading in an aquarium? I just checked mine with my Hanna and it's 0.07. snails look happy so do my torches.

The Hanna is inaccurate at that level. Don’t believe it.

You need to test by ICP if you want to detect copper in a reef tank.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldnt think so considering you have less than the ocean does

That posted link is way, way off.

I'm not certain why, but it may just be old data. Unfortunately, old data lives forever on the internet.

As scientists have gotten better and better and excluding contamination from collected samples, values have gone down for trace metals like copper.

True seawater copper is far, far lower.

Here's a more accurate set of data that reflects values I have seen from expert oceanographers (like Millero).

from it:

"Distribution in ocean
Dissolved Cu has a modified, nutrient-like vertical profile. It is depleted at the surface and it's concentration increases with depth (data). "

Typical surface values (it is higher in the deeper ocean) are about 1 nmole/kg (with a big range around that), which corresponds to 64 ng/kg, or about 0.000064 mg/L ~ppm.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That posted link is way, way off.

I'm not certain why, but it may just be old data. Unfortunately, old data lives forever on the internet.

As scientists have gotten better and better and excluding contamination from collected samples, values have gone down for trace metals like copper.

True seawater copper is far, far lower.

Here's a more accurate set of data that reflects values I have seen from expert oceanographers (like Millero).

from it:

"Distribution in ocean
Dissolved Cu has a modified, nutrient-like vertical profile. It is depleted at the surface and it's concentration increases with depth (data). "

Typical surface values (it is higher in the deeper ocean) are about 1 nmole/kg (with a big range around that), which corresponds to 64 ng/kg, or about 0.000064 mg/L ~ppm.
Interesting that a highly respected university like Stanford would keep incorrect information on their site.
thought I could trust a unoversity, guess not

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that a highly respected university like Stanford would keep incorrect information on their site.
thought I could trust a unoversity, guess not

It's apparently an old site (cut off the mineral part of the URL and it takes you to the main page where they say it was copyright 12 years ago) and has been replaced by a new site which no longer shows that page.

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy

Long time since talking with you last. Hope all is well.
I have a fully stocked 180 gallon Acro system thats doing well. I'm interested in trying Kent Essential Elements formula, but it contains Copper EDTA. I've read that its harmful for Fish and Corals, especially in a reef aquarium system...if so, why would Kent Marine use such an element in one of it's products? Please elaborate...Thank you for your time and cooperation

I have a bottle of this because my local Petco Unleashed got it accidentally and sold it to me for $2, figured what the heck. Works great, I do a capful every week in my 26 gallon mixed reef.

RazorRamon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So It turns out my cuvette needed to be cleaned. I cleaned it with the solution Hanna makes and got readings of 0 copper on my Hanna. Still waiting on my triton icp

Back