Copper Keeps Dropping

tkoenig88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some fish in a QT tank and I’ve been using copper power for the tank. All that is in the tank is a few pvc pieces for hides for the fish and a foam block for the filter. The copper levels keep dropping overnight. Last night the level was at 2 ppm and this morning it was at 1.09. I’m using the Hana high range checker. I didn’t think I’d have to keep redosing with nothing to absorb the copper. I can’t imagine the foam block is absorbing copper. I suppose it’s possible the pvc is but I wouldn’t think so. Also if I dose like .5ml of copper and then test it shows the levels back up closer to 2 again. Seems like a small amount to raise that much. Fish all seem ok and no signs of the velvet I’m dealing with just need to know if anyone has similar experience or thoughts.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something must be absorbing it, it doesn't just disappear. What foam block are you using? My copper qt tank was a 75 gallon with a few air powered sponge filters and a lot of pvc fittings. I got my copper level to 2.0 ppm (copper power) and it never budged from there. You're using the correct test kit so that shouldn't be the issue.

OP
OP
T

tkoenig88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something must be absorbing it, it doesn't just disappear. What foam block are you using? My copper qt tank was a 75 gallon with a few air powered sponge filters and a lot of pvc fittings. I got my copper level to 2.0 ppm (copper power) and it never budged from there. You're using the correct test kit so that shouldn't be the issue.
It’s a foam block from a fluval flex tank. I suppose it could be absorbing the copper. I could just replace it with filter floss to catch debris. Filter floss def shouldn’t absorb anything

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back