Copper Power and Prazipro

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I currently have my fish in QT, in Copper Power at 2.38ppm. They have been at a 1.5ppm or higher since 9/14, and on 9/21 due to me having now idea how to QT a fish (this is literally the first time I've ever done this), I lowered the PPM to 1.19. It was about 6 hours at this level.

They have been eating a ton, and no issues that I can see so far. Doing weekly water changes to help with ammonia and such.

This morning I noticed some white poop coming out of the clowns. So just to be safe, I added 1/2 tsp of Prazipro to the aquarium. From what I've read, you can mix Prazipro with Copper Power as long as there is enough oxygen, which for me personally, I'm using 2 air stones in the 10 gallon tank, with TONS of bubbles.

My question is.... Is there anything I should be focusing on in terms of "Red flags"? Anything that people have experienced where they end up saying "I wish I knew that when...."

Thanks!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It basically boils down to the risk you are willing to accept. Some will say that since the copper dropped below the therapeutic level, it starts the treatment clock over. I don't know if there is any true research to show that a 6hr drop below therapeutic would actually hurt the treatment protocol, though. I personally would probably just go with it as if it didn't happen since you brought the ppm levels back up to therapeutic and remained at that elevated level since.

As for treating with Prazipro...adding to the water column works for external parasites, but not for internal parasites which is what may be causing your white discharge issues. To treat internal parasites, you must mix meds with food...ie: 1scoop General Cure + 1 scoop Seachem Focus (binds med to food) + 1 TBSP frozen or pellet foods. Then feed this mixture 2x per day for about 14 days.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.5ppm should not be considered therapeutic. The therapeutic level is now 2.0ppm.

Ditto above. Whats your risk? I have put fish in copper for 10 days and then straight to DT, cbb that wasnt eating in QT. Big risk imo, but 10 days should be sufficient scientifically for crypto life cycle and I dont really care if other stuff gets into display (fish only).

Thats just my example. Weigh the risks, are the fish eating fine? I would start copper over at 2.15ppm and start the clock over. Is that 6 hours a problem? I highly highly doubt it, but is it worth it? :)

Prazi will not help white poo. You need to use general cure with focus to treat internally. Prazi with copper is usually ok with enough aeration.

Good luck, way to QT! It sucks but I love my big tangs with no crpyto :)

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be ready for a bacterial bloom. I had to emergency dose prazipro while my fish were in copper - within 24 hours, the water became extremely cloudy and slime covered everything. If you need to keep the fish in copper, keep some water handy predosed to match the copper in the tank and do at least a 50% water change.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back