Copper power Qt questions

reefergal92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening fellow reefers Can I incorporate focus in kanaplex while using copper power in my qt? And also what antibiotic I can use in my qt with copper to prevent infections, or if that even possible?

My main concern right now while treating copper is internal bacteria and parasites and external possible infection.

I have my tank at 79 temp
Copper power at 2.1-2.6 range

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening fellow reefers Can I incorporate focus in kanaplex while using copper power in my qt? And also what antibiotic I can use in my qt with copper to prevent infections, or if that even possible?

My main concern right now while treating copper is internal bacteria and parasites and external possible infection.

I have my tank at 79 temp
Copper power at 2.1-2.6 range

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

You can dose antibiotics in the water along with copper power, but as a general rule, I try to avoid doing that unless I'm certain there is a bacterial infection. I never use antibiotics as a "preventative" - almost all of the bacteria that infect fish (even Mycobacteria) can be found in normal aquariums anyway.

"Kanaplex + Focus" is risky unless you calculate the dose properly. It can be toxic at high doses. The proper dose is 50 mg Kanamycin per kg of fish weight - not an easy thing to work out.

There is more of an issue with internal protozoans in new aquarium fish. For those, metronidazole in the food can be a good idea. That is dosed more easily - at 1% by weight in the food (gelatin foods are best).

Here is an article I wrote up on medicated foods:

Jay

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back