Copperband and Longnose Butterfly Fish?

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small, maybe 2.5", CBB in a 125g display.

He's been eating fine out of his special 1/2" drilled PVC feeder.

I was considering adding a Longnose Butterfly.

Would they end up frenemies or just plain enemies?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a toss up. No 2 fish are the same in personality. Always be prepared to trade back to your LFS

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My feeder for my CBB is my fingers. He loves eating from my hand frozen food. I see him at night scanning the rocks for pods. He eats pods non stop. I'm glad I got a well established flora for him. :)

He loves his reflection when I clean the glass. I have wondered if a partner would work or not with them. But, I also fear he would get angry and kill the other. Hard to know, he seems so friendly and innocent. He loves me, When I'm scraping the glass he swims up to me and hangs out. I've come close to getting him between my hand and the scraper he just hangs out. Very friendly fish! :)

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do tell about this special feeder...please! :)
Pretty easy, just take about 3" of 1/2 pvc pipe and a drill bit. I used 1/4" but you can start smaller and work up if you need to. Poke a bunch of holes and get some end caps. I actually just used two pieces of ruble that fit. Stuff with your favorite diy chopped frozen food mix and toss into the tank. Your CBB will be your bff.

Bobby14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty easy, just take about 3" of 1/2 pvc pipe and a drill bit. I used 1/4" but you can start smaller and work up if you need to. Poke a bunch of holes and get some end caps. I actually just used two pieces of ruble that fit. Stuff with your favorite diy chopped frozen food mix and toss into the tank. Your CBB will be your bff.
This is great! Thank you!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cbb and lnb in a 180 and they are perfectly fine together.

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK then, the jury seems to think it's worth a try. Good news. I'll give a try.

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great! Thank you!
CBB's definitely definitely eat out of the water column. They just aren't that good at it. My wrasse, for example, will steal food right of the CBB's beak while it's trying to swallow. Mine doesn't seem shy at all so I can definitely see them eating out of your hand. However, I think a PVC with holes mimics more closely their natural feeding behaviors. And while other fish will try to dig in too, they are really at disadvantage without a beak.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I had always ate from the water column including the one I have now.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established CBB in a WB170... and a YLN coming out of QT this week.

Will report back with my results

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I had always ate from the water column including the one I have now.

That is one talented CBB! I will show this clip to mine. Hopefully they will learn a few tricks!

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is the same way, perhaps even more aggressive. Absolute terror at feeding time, and I don’t turn pumps off. Someone mentioned wrasses taking food away... that’s a no in “Trudy’s” tank. She will knock other fish out of the way! Eats so much I joke she has a double chin.

The new long nose is eating in the column too. Bites at the pipette before I can even squirt food out.

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is the same way, perhaps even more aggressive. Absolute terror at feeding time, and I don’t turn pumps off. Someone mentioned wrasses taking food away... that’s a no in “Trudy’s” tank. She will knock other fish out of the way! Eats so much I joke she has a double chin.

The new long nose is eating in the column too. Bites at the pipette before I can even squirt food out.
Well when mine grows up, I hope they take Trudy as a role model. But I sure as hell ain't gonna pay for any double chin surgery, so she better watch herself.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. LNB has been in DT with CBB for a few days. The CBB was a little put out in the first couple hours and needed to set the pecking order but they are now friends and mostly swim together.

LNB is feeding well with broadcast frozen even with pumps on. Friendly guy always comes to the front glass when I approach. Pretty sure he’s just always ready to eat though... doesn’t actually care about me as a person!

0BC63104-09A0-42B0-8759-B2F6068FE2CB.jpeg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back