Copperband Butterfly Fish acting odd?

WorldZY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi There! We have had our CBB for a little over a month now. Before I get started, Gill eats almost 2 clams a day or Mussels (out of Clams) and Mysis shrimp constantly. He is always swimming around and very agile. Lastly, our water levels are all spot on. Today I noticed the 2-3 white specs on him and assumed it was "ich" disease. It just was seen today and none of the other fish have it. Anyways I put some medicine in the water (why it looks a little cloudy) and I catch Gill doing this. I know "ich" can be itchy for fish and the way the water drops from the filter... it's as if Gill is relieving an itch from the drop.
Is this the case or should I be concerned of something more? I am monitoring Gill like a hawk and was just curious if anyone else has experienced a situation as such. Have a Great Day everyone and thank you for the messages in advance! <3

OP
OP
WorldZY

WorldZY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To elaborate. He swims around after a little bit, but comes right back and does this same thing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To elaborate. He swims around after a little bit, but comes right back and does this same thing.
what medication did you add?
the spots on the edges of the tail fin isnt ich, it is Lymphocytis, a non-fatal viral disease that will go away on its own in a few weeks. This fish could well have other issues, tough to see in the video.

jay

OP
OP
WorldZY

WorldZY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply, had to ask the Mrs. what she used in the tank. She said Kordon Natural Cure.

OP
OP
WorldZY

WorldZY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what medication did you add?
the spots on the edges of the tail fin isnt ich, it is Lymphocytis, a non-fatal viral disease that will go away on its own in a few weeks. This fish could well have other issues, tough to see in the video.

jay
Oh Thank You! Good to know!! We will just keep an eye on it for Gill. Gill is very active and always is actively swimming around. The 1st time I saw him doing this and when I went to check on him again, he was swimming fine. Not really sure how to react to this lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Problem I see is this is not ich but typical on butterflies and large angel- Viral condition known as Lymphocystis. It is often associated with poor water quality and/or diet. While they love clam, clam and mysis is not a total complete needed diet.
Jay posed a good question as to what med you added and how much ?

You will want to add aeration with air stone and prepare water for a water change.
You indicated water is Spot On. What test kit are you using and what are your numbers for:
Ammonia
Nitrate
PH
salinity
temperature
Phosphate

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet to mix your salt mix?
What is age of the tank?
What filter(s) are you using ?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, butterflies also get lympho when stressed (new to tank, bullies, etc) or in hyposalinity.

Did the odd behavior start after the medication?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry for the late reply, had to ask the Mrs. what she used in the tank. She said Kordon Natural Cure.
I think you meant Rapid cure which is for fresh and salt water and not very effective had it been ich which is malachite green and stains everything in the tank. I see you have what looks like a linkia starfish and this rapid cure is NOT invert safe deemed unsafe for all shrimp-crab-snails and starfish

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In my experience, butterflies also get lympho when stressed (new to tank, bullies, etc) or in hyposalinity.

It should have as its malachite green and NOT invert safe and there is a starfish right in the video

OP
OP
WorldZY

WorldZY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use RODI water. I am not completely sure of the brand test strips, but it does read off all the labels mentioned (Can get you the numbers 1st thing in the morning) The temperature is currently at 77.

The Tank is probably 4-5 months old I would say. Filters I would have to ask the Mrs.

It does seem it could be the diet though. I try to feed Gill Blood Worms (Not a fan), Clams, Mussels, and Mysis Shrimp. Is there other food suggestions to throw at Gill or should I just keep rotating the mix?

OP
OP
WorldZY

WorldZY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you meant Rapid cure which is for fresh and salt water and not very effective had it been ich which is malachite green and stains everything in the tank. I see you have what looks like a linkia starfish and this rapid cure is NOT invert safe deemed unsafe for all shrimp-crab-snails and starfish
Yeah I noticed reading the bottle. Wasn't very pleased lol. We put our carbon back into the tank to get the medicine out.

OP
OP
WorldZY

WorldZY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No. It started a couple hours ago. Mrs. WorldZY was just being extra pre-cautious and clearly didn't read the label. Gill is always actively swimming and gets along with all our other fish.

OP
OP
WorldZY

WorldZY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gill will do what he does in the video, take some laps, eat some clam, go back to the top. I am not sure if this is some weird game, but I do not know how to take this behavior.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We use RODI water. I am not completely sure of the brand test strips, but it does read off all the labels mentioned (Can get you the numbers 1st thing in the morning) The temperature is currently at 77.

The Tank is probably 4-5 months old I would say. Filters I would have to ask the Mrs.

It does seem it could be the diet though. I try to feed Gill Blood Worms (Not a fan), Clams, Mussels, and Mysis Shrimp. Is there other food suggestions to throw at Gill or should I just keep rotating the mix?
Please Please PLEASE, tomorrow if you can, Take a good water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use Api test kits and have them test your: Ammonia-ph-nitrate=phosphate
Hate to say but the test strips are for freshwater also and are often Way off providing false readings.
I suspected something of this nature. Verify those readings so you can save your livestock.
Hanna and salifert are reliable kits. No sense buying $100 for fish and starfish and place your confidence on a $7 bottle of strips. At least you have a better clue on whats happening

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Gill will do what he does in the video, take some laps, eat some clam, go back to the top. I am not sure if this is some weird game, but I do not know how to take this behavior.
He seems to be gasping in video and a water change may help

OP
OP
WorldZY

WorldZY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I am going to order some and I appreciate the advice. I will take this to my LFS ASAP. It means a lot to me for the help!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back