Copperband feeding issue and redish spot on tummy

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i recently got a cbb, fed it live bloodworms and mysis. It eats once twice, then stops eating. Why so? Atleast i know its eating, but why not everything? Its slim, but still looks healthy as per its swimming pattern.

Secondly it has a reddish/pinkish spot on the stomach, below is a video and a few screen shots. Its very difficult to click pics.

d1dbc21ef69c055c7d9e42e681faecce.jpg
af539e3f5543346781554ef1257e8d1f.jpg
ab2375662972939fd0854419006548fc.jpg

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are saying that it was eating fine and now it won't? How long has it not been eating for? I only kind of see the spot that you are talking about, but if it is still in QT you could always run some antibiotics to stay off any infection. Lets get more eyes on this #reefsquad

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are saying that it was eating fine and now it won't? How long has it not been eating for? I only kind of see the spot that you are talking about, but if it is still in QT you could always run some antibiotics to stay off any infection. Lets get more eyes on this #reefsquad
I mean it eats, but just one or two worms, even though all are alive. Same with mysis, though frozen, it eats one or two, then doesnt eat the rest. It doeant ignore, it knows theres food, but still wont eat. Pretty wierd. Lol. Yes, plannin to dose metro kana and furan2, just thst i want it to start eating first as its too thin.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see it in the video, but the "reddish/pinkish spot on the stomach" concerns me as it could be the start of a bacterial infection.
So same treatment? metro kana and furan 2?

However after adding carbon in tang tank as it was twiching, ich or infection is 90% gone, also started eating. But still hates light.

Do i do same treatment for cbb and purple tang??? Different tanks. Do i wait for cbb to start eating properly and gain some weight??

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So same treatment? metro kana and furan 2?

However after adding carbon in tang tank as it was twiching, ich or infection is 90% gone, also started eating. But still hates light.

Yes, but remove carbon as it will pull meds out of the water.

Do i do same treatment for cbb and purple tang??? Different tanks. Do i wait for cbb to start eating properly and gain some weight??

Unless the PT is showing signs of infection, do not treat with antibiotics. However, is it the PT or CBB that is twitching?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see the pink spot either, but copperbands are notorious for getting these "red spot" bacterial infections. Yes, the treatment would be Kanaplex + metroplex + Furan-2. The eating sounds pretty typical of a new copperband. Just keep offering small amounts, frequently.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but remove carbon as it will pull meds out of the water.

Unless the PT is showing signs of infection, do not treat with antibiotics. However, is it the PT or CBB that is twitching?
PT was twitching when i added cupramine, now its not. Any reason whyvit hates light? After keepong it on for a while, it comes out and swims, but it doesnt like. I got it from a friends tank who kept it Under a very blue light, mine is much brighter.

I had added carbon in the morning, do i remove now or in the morning, then dose the meds? Do i add cp too or not needed? We dont have cu test kits available here in india as of now.. :(

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the tang, I think you should address the parasites before worrying about antibiotics. Copper or CP.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the PT is showing signs of infection, do not treat with antibiotics. [/QUOTE]

The infections has reduced to 90%

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see the pink spot either, but copperbands are notorious for getting these "red spot" bacterial infections. Yes, the treatment would be Kanaplex + metroplex + Furan-2. The eating sounds pretty typical of a new copperband. Just keep offering small amounts, frequently.
Its too thin, just a bit afraid what if the antibiotics makes it not eat at all :( or i take the risk?

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the tang, I think you should address the parasites before worrying about antibiotics. Copper or CP.
Its so dam wierd, 90% has improved, but still scared of light.. :( id like to add cp, but cu testkits are not availabe as of now.. :(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 Twitching with a CBB can just mean a feeding response. But for a tang, it usually indicates parasites or worms inside the gills.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Twitching with a CBB can just mean a feeding response. But for a tang, it usually indicates parasites or worms inside the gills.
Twitching is no longer there. Its eating well, 90% infection or whatever it was, is gone. Is it possible it was hurt toomuch before due to over crowding?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its too thin, just a bit afraid what if the antibiotics makes it not eat at all :( or i take the risk?

Maybe just keep an eye on it for now and try to get a few more good feedings in. If the spot starts to get more red or larger you will need to dose the antibiotics ASAP regardless of how it's eating.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree. Have you done a fw dip on him yet to check for flukes? Now that I think about it, that's a good possibility.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Have you done a fw dip on him yet to check for flukes? Now that I think about it, that's a good possibility.
No, but since its looking much healthy, after adding carbon and recovering from the infection, im gona start the treatment of kana metro furan2 tomorow. I have api general cure (has prazi and metro) which ill mix with food and focus and try feeding it. I bought the tang from a friend who had it since a year, and was very healthy.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys today i dosed metro 200mg, kana 500mg and 1 pack of furan 2 to my 15g qt for my purple tang.

Since the infection has really decreased, ill redose after 48hrs. For howmany days i do the same? Can i add prazipro?

@Humblefish @ngoodermuth

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nanomania

For the Kanamycin & Metronidazole, every 48 hrs.

Furan-2 directions are a bit more tricky (see below).

Keep this concoction going for at least 10 days.

Directions for Use (Packets): For best results, remove activated carbon or filter cartridge from filter and continue aerations. For each 10 gallons (38 L) of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 24 hours. Wait another 24 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water. Repeat this treatment for a second time, for a total of 4 doses. Then make a final 25% water change and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge. Treatment may be repeated if necessary.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nanomania

For the Kanamycin & Metronidazole, every 48 hrs.

Furan-2 directions are a bit more tricky (see below).

Keep this concoction going for at least 10 days.
Oh, so ill dose furan2 tomotow morning again and other a day after?

Can i dose furan2 with food and focus? So that way it gets to eat some too.

Can i dose prazipro?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 80 75.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 13.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back