Copperband help

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this copperband since 7/2. He was eating pe mysis like an absolute hog and very healthy looking at the LFS so I figured to give him a try since I’ve always wanted one. They’ve had him for about 3 weeks before I got him and said he was snatching up food from other fish even.

Since adding him to my 140, I saw him maybe pick at one mysis the first day. All he did was swim up and down the glass constantly. He was getting bullied by my Kole and chocolate tang a bit despite a mirror which the tangs chase. He was in the 140 for maybe 5 days, no eating.

I then put him in my other tank, a 60 cube, which is a very peaceful tank. He’s been in there since 7/6 ish. No interest in food. He’ll occasionally browse through the rock picking but for the most part he’s pacing up and down the glass. He shows a feeding response when I open the lid to feed but turns his nose up to everything.I’ve wrapped the glass side in a sheet to cut the reflection down.

I’ve tried to feed: PE mysis, hikari mysis, LRS, frozen brine, live brine, live black worms, half shell clams, Masstick (just got it today, but not showing any interest)

Any suggestions would help. Want this little guy to make it!

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like he’s been stressed on a few levels, trip from LFS to your home, from the tangs (possibly the most significant) and from moving between the two tanks.

You’ll have to do some experimenting to try to get him to eat again, Copperbands being specialized eaters, he may have developed a taste before being caught and they need to be trained to accept prepared/frozen foods in captivity.

Start with different foods based on their diets in the wild: clams/mussels on a half shell, aptasia on a rock, live blood/black worms (this is what worked with mine), masstick. Then figure out a plan to transition from their preferred food to prepared/frozen.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can get some fresh new LR straight from the ocean, this will be covered in natural foods such as fresh molluscs, aiptasia, pods and more for the CBB to try. If it pecks at a specific thing then try putting frozen around the base of the remaining pieces and see if it’ll eat the frozen then. You may find that the CBB just wants to take it from the rock, mine did this at first but now 2 years later he’s taking it from in the rock and all throughout the water column.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back