Copperband & Potter's

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today feels great!

After weeks of experimenting with new foods, combinations, timing, delivery. My Copperband and Potter's Angel are eating frozen food!

Live blackworms got the Copperband excited for feeding time and Mass Stick on the glass encouraged the Potter's to look at food that wasn't already growing on rocks. All this time, I put in LRS and frozen blackworms and saw them at this morning's feed take both and not spit out.

Other things I have tried that didn't quite work:
  • Live mussel and clams
  • Making an open clamshell feeding station
    • This and the live offerings made me realize the Copperband was probably focusing on tube worms prior to collection
  • Live Brine
  • Garlic
  • Various fish egg products
    • This only really made me miss Nutramar Ova as I haven't been able to find any marine egg-based product that truly makes my fish go wild
The next step will be to get them eating dry food so I can take a vacation without fret — unless anyone has recommendations for an automatic feeder for frozen foods (I've tried to build my own in the past, but found it to be unreliable in keeping thawed food cold enough for more than a day).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine eat all dry and frozen.
Seaweed
LRS reef frenzy
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
Small plankton
Prime reef flake and frozen

Add garlic extract and selcon vitamins to the foods weekly

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@vetteguy53081 thanks!

I'm definitely going to keep experimenting with more food types so they and the other fish have a better range in their overall diet. Garlic didn't seem to peak any interest in the two. I tend to add Selcon daily for their evening feed as well.

I figure I have about 5-6 weeks to get them more excited about dry foods before I visit family for the holidays.

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both of these- they inspect every item; I don't know if mine would ever take dry food. However they are fat and sassy on frozen clams, live white worms and frozen brine. Occasionally I pick up some live blackworms.

Interestingly, mine won't eat frozen clams from the LFS. I have to buy a dozen live clams,shuck and freeze them, and then run through the food processor grater attachment, and freeze. They love that.

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have both of these- they inspect every item; I don't know if mine would ever take dry food. However they are fat and sassy on frozen clams, live white worms and frozen brine. Occasionally I pick up some live blackworms.

Interestingly, mine won't eat frozen clams from the LFS. I have to buy a dozen live clams,shuck and freeze them, and then run through the food processor grater attachment, and freeze. They love that.

Both are like puzzle boxes that you have to continuously experiment with in order to succeed. It's such a reward to see them adapt, especially knowing that we are taking risks knowing their reputation in the hobby.

Also update. The Potter's has moved on to taking flake this evening. This is happening very quickly!

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CBB does not even taste dry foods. Eats most everything else frozen though.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get the potters angel to begin to take prepared foods, that’s 90% of the way there. Typically it’ll now progress to eat most foods. Mine eats pretty much everything.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back