Copperband

Scl43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks, bought a copperband from lfs on saturday. He was eating frozen in the store and was nice and plump. Since putting him in my tank he's barely touched a thing. Ive tried frozen mysis and brine and over feeding that to see if thatll help. But its just not interested. Ive just got masstik and tried that but so far not touched. Anyone got any advice or what else i can try. Ive heard frozen or fresh clams from supermarket has anyone tried this ?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks, bought a copperband from lfs on saturday. He was eating frozen in the store and was nice and plump. Since putting him in my tank he's barely touched a thing. Ive tried frozen mysis and brine and over feeding that to see if thatll help. But its just not interested. Ive just got masstik and tried that but so far not touched. Anyone got any advice or what else i can try. Ive heard frozen or fresh clams from supermarket has anyone tried this ?
How did you acclimate him & what else is there in the tank?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep him in a quarantine tank (as with all fish you buy) for two weeks with no competition :) It gives you a good opportunity to monitor him eating and to have him acclimatised to the food you're feeding.

OP
OP
Scl43

Scl43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate him & what else is there in the tank?
Not alot in my tank to be honest. Pair of clowns . Tomini tang . Long nose hawk fish and a six line. Just floated bag for 30mins. Then put in pale and added small amounts of water of another 1/2 hr. Put tank lights off before i put in display. Kept off for around 2hrs

OP
OP
Scl43

Scl43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep him in a quarantine tank (as with all fish you buy) for two weeks with no competition :) It gives you a good opportunity to monitor him eating and to have him acclimatised to the food you're feeding.
Dont have a quarantine

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not alot in my tank to be honest. Pair of clowns . Tomini tang . Long nose hawk fish and a six line. Just floated bag for 30mins. Then put in pale and added small amounts of water of another 1/2 hr. Put tank lights off before i put in display. Kept off for around 2hrs
How big is your tank? :)

Did you keep him in an isolation box for some time? You might benefit from this approach as the rest of your inhabitants can get used to him and he can have a chance to settle and adjust to your feeding routines at his own pace. I usually do two weeks after I transfer from quarantine.

OP
OP
Scl43

Scl43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? :)

Did you keep him in an isolation box for some time? You might benefit from this approach as the rest of your inhabitants can get used to him and he can have a chance to settle and adjust to your feeding routines at his own pace. I usually do two weeks after I transfer from quarantine.
Reefer350. Dont have an isolation box either im afraid .

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer350. Dont have an isolation box either im afraid .
Get one! Always for introducing new fish. Here's a good video on how to introduce fish into your tank :)

I got mine off eating after a couple of days tempting him with the Nyos Goldpods in my quarantine tank (alone!). You should be able to achieve similar results in an isolation box with spot feeding just for him with a bit of luck.

After this, slowly he got interested in mysis and brine as well. Now he predominantly feast on aiptasia ;)

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this after my first one died in a week (immediately in DT). Second one ate, 1.5 week in QT, then went into DT, lived another week and died. They're beautiful, but a massive hit or miss and imo just too difficult to keep (for me). wasted about 130 bucks as of now on the 2 who died. Copepods, no copepods, mysis, name it, I've tried it.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this after my first one died in a week (immediately in DT). Second one ate, 1.5 week in QT, then went into DT, lived another week and died. They're beautiful, but a massive hit or miss and imo just too difficult to keep (for me). wasted about 130 bucks as of now on the 2 who died. Copepods, no copepods, mysis, name it, I've tried it.
I will give you this, it is a very, very hard fish to keep alive and I do consider myself lucky to have one of reasonable health.

They do not travel or acclimate well.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you saw it eat at the lfs are you using the exact same food as they fed? If so and it still won’t eat then clams are worth a try for foods that are easy to get.
If all else fails the only food I have tried that has always been eaten is live white worms, although I’ve heard good things about live black worms too. I have been feeding my CBB white worms for about a year now to keep him alive.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your CBB feel comfortable going to the rocks or is it staying away? If it refuses to go to the rock it's probably aggression from the Tang. Even the slightest amount of aggression toward the CBB when it goes to the rock will cease all food consumption, I find.

As others said, I would recommend an acclimation box, and put a rock in there with him. When he's eating and comfortable, remove the tang temporarily and put the tang in the box and give the CBB the tank for a while.

If all goes well, then reintroduce the tang back and then deal with your algae issue. :)

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frozen clam has worked for me in the past. Don’t give up. If this one doesn’t work. Try the ideas above, they are very good sound techniques that should work. I used some of them with my last CB. He has been in my tank for at least three years now. Some times he even acts like a tang when he needs to.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was he added after the 6line? If so, has the 6line shown aggression to him?

Does your tank water have the same salinity and ph as the bag water? Did it take long for him to go from LFS to your place?

OP
OP
Scl43

Scl43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was he added after the 6line? If so, has the 6line shown aggression to him?

Does your tank water have the same salinity and ph as the bag water? Did it take long for him to go from LFS to your place?
Yeah. Way sfter 6line but no aggression from wrasse so far thst i have seen

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found out that any little aggression or bullying kills these guys . 2 in 6 months ! Good luck
thats sooo true!!
Mine was eating like a champ and was not getting bullied for 1 year.
then my green chromis started to play the boss in the tank and is fighting with every fish even docs... and he bullied the CBB and he was dead after like 2 weeks after the chromis started to bully

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
thats sooo true!!
Mine was eating like a champ and was not getting bullied for 1 year.
then my green chromis started to play the boss in the tank and is fighting with every fish even docs... and he bullied the CBB and he was dead after like 2 weeks after the chromis started to bully
They are so soft lol … but they are really valuable . My tank is starting to get aiptasia now

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always like to isolate these guys when new. 10g and sponge filter is all it takes for a QT. I do observation only for CBB just to get them eating so I add some live rock and don't have to worry about ammonia.
This one is picking at live black worms and calanus. Doesn't want to eat out of the water column yet but prefers to pick off the rocks when the food settles. It picked at a clam on half shell last night but refuses to touch the aiptasia on the rock :angry-face: My established one is a pig and comes up to take food right out of the turkey baster. He eats aiptasia too.
I bought this one to put in my 180g then when I got home I remembered about my derasa and maxima in the tank so not sure where I'm going to put it now :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
20230825_111359.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back