COR 15 or COR 20

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 cube right now with plans to buy a house and upgrade to a 150 within a year. Would the COR 15 be too small for the 150 and would the COR 20 be to big for the 50?

Looking at the head curve, the COR 20 gets about 1500 GPH at 5 feet and I don't see harm in running 500 GPH through my 50, but I would have to run thr pump at 25-33%.

Likewise with the COR 15, it gets about 700 GPH at 5 feet. Meaning I would have to run the pump at almost max speed in a 150 to get the bare mimimum flow through of about 4-5× tank volume.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
better to have the ability to have more power and use less than less power and use more.

OP
OP
K

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run dual COR20’s on my 120 and soon on the 180. Go bigger now, that way when you want to run UV you will have extra head room

Good point. I also plan to T-off one or 2 media reactors, whether I use them or not.

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for knowledge: the motor block and housing are the same between the cor 15 and 20. So you could interchange them. I have two cor 15 independently driving UV and an external skimmer. My COR20 is a dedicated return pump. So I have two back ups at hand in case the Cor 20 breaks. The difference is all in the driver and power supply. The cor 20 can be a stand only not needing an Apex and has its own power brick but has more functions available once hooked up to Apex. The cor15 need a 1link Connection to the apex for functionality and power.

Detour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run dual COR20’s on my 120 and soon on the 180. Go bigger now, that way when you want to run UV you will have extra head room
I'm evaluating pump options for redoing the sump and plumbing on my 120 (4x2x2). I have dual 1" drain and return overflows. I currently run a single Eheim 1262, but want more turn over, so was going to replace with a single COR 20 and split between my returns, balancing with gate valves as I need. Curious how you are using 2 return pumps for you 120 configuration.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm evaluating pump options for redoing the sump and plumbing on my 120 (4x2x2). I have dual 1" drain and return overflows. I currently run a single Eheim 1262, but want more turn over, so was going to replace with a single COR 20 and split between my returns, balancing with gate valves as I need. Curious how you are using 2 return pumps for you 120 configuration.
I have 1 COR20 feeding manifold and left return and another COR20 feeding right return and UV

Detour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 COR20 feeding manifold and left return and another COR20 feeding right return and UV
Thanks -

Do you also still run gate valves on your return runs, or just rely on the controllability of the pump to control flow?

I had considered 2 COR 15s, thinking I could run manifolds off of one as well - but decided to just have separate feed pumps so that I can separate the turn over of the DT from whatever add on equipment I need/use.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks -

Do you also still run gate valves on your return runs, or just rely on the controllability of the pump to control flow?

I had considered 2 COR 15s, thinking I could run manifolds off of one as well - but decided to just have separate feed pumps so that I can separate the turn over of the DT from whatever add on equipment I need/use.
I just use the pumps to control flow

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The benefit of the 15 is it runs off an eb832 directly, with no outlet and no power brick. So if you want to save an outlet, and not worry about the brick, then it's a decent choice.

The 20 has more power, so my suggestion would be always to do that instead, since both are controllable, you can dial it down as needed.

The only downside to the 20 IMHO, is the power brick. Mine lasted about 2 years, so buy a spare brick.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 48.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back