COR 20 won't start after cleaning- help!?

Ecotech Marine

shakeandbake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So I ran into this when I originally set up the cor 20. And I feared it would happen again when I needed to clean it. Well. Here I am.

After pulling the pump apart to clean and then putting it back together I keep getting an overcurrent alarm. So I can't run the return. Crazy frustrating. Trying to troubleshoot in a bucket.

Is this related to the gasket? Does anyone have any hints to get this seated correctly so I can turn it back on? Any experience with this error?

Thank you in advance. Hate to let it sit all day and I have to run to the moms in an hour-ish. ugh. Been playing with this thing for almost 2 hours now.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Mine also does this. I found I have to very loosely and carefully tighten the 4 screws on the volume. Or it will make contact with the impeller.

I also sanded down the plastic in the center of the volute so that it doesn't make contact with the impeller.

OP
shakeandbake

shakeandbake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Mine also does this. I found I have to very loosely and carefully tighten the 4 screws on the volume. Or it will make contact with the impeller.

I also sanded down the plastic in the center of the volute so that it doesn't make contact with the impeller.
Thank you for your input!

I got it. Finally.

It seems that the rubber gasket and the volute want to move prior to the tightening of the screws. Like... you seat the gasket, put the volute in place, then put on the cover ...but before you can put the four screws in place and tighten them, the impeller moves up inside the chamber. If it moves, the gasket unseats, and that won't allow the impeller to turn, so you get the over current alarm.

After, putting it together, tightening the four screws, testing it, getting the alarm, ...then taking the four screws out, pulling it apart to check and reassemble, maybe two dozen times, ...I found that holding the impeller in place with a finger while putting on the cover, then holding it upright rather than turning the pump screw side up, then putting the screws in upside down and finger tightening them all, ... that may prevent the impeller from moving and the gasket from popping off. Or, it didn't, and it just worked that one time out of 30.

Not for nothing, but it is $350 pump. If the design doesn't permit it to be cleaned and reassembled, without an hour and a half of stress, design it better. Or, at a minimum, include some instructions online that can help.

NoFoolin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So I ran into this when I originally set up the cor 20. And I feared it would happen again when I needed to clean it. Well. Here I am.

After pulling the pump apart to clean and then putting it back together I keep getting an overcurrent alarm. So I can't run the return. Crazy frustrating. Trying to troubleshoot in a bucket.

Is this related to the gasket? Does anyone have any hints to get this seated correctly so I can turn it back on? Any experience with this error?

Thank you in advance. Hate to let it sit all day and I have to run to the moms in an hour-ish. ugh. Been playing with this thing for almost 2 hours now.
This happened to me and I found that I was over tightning the screws on the face.

What percentage of blue versus white lighting do you think makes the best coral growth combo?

• All Blue

Votes: 16 2.6%
  • Mostly Blue

Votes: 381 62.9%
  • Even Balance

Votes: 153 25.2%
  • Mostly White

Votes: 46 7.6%
  • All White

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 1.5%