Coral beauty dying????

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new coral beauty who seems to be doing good and now he is acting like there is something wrong. Levels were fine and other fish are fine too. Now he is lethargic on the bottom corner and unresponsive to hand movements ....please help! Pardon the dirty tank glass.

image.jpg
546B74BA-344F-4EF5-8F51-B20B56B072AC.png
417B061D-72D0-4D3D-B3CB-7A64FF8BD309.png
302E1A68-A9B2-4673-B4D6-9304F5B0E6B5.png

Last edited:

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Definitely dying.. can you transfer to emergency tank and run meds ?

you should post parameters

OP
OP
Reefer87

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don’t have a second tank unfortunately. It broke down I haven’t had a chance to buy another.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I assume no quarantine then. What about oxygen , do you have enough gas exchange? Water change recently ? You didn’t post your salinity level either. There can be a lot to start from for the fish’s living conditions

I’m sure an expert will chime in..

OP
OP
Reefer87

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is 1.025 did a water change Friday. All other levels were normal today when I checked. I had gotten a goby too at the same time, he is fine and happy no issues. I’ve never had problems with my lfs stock. They have always been healthy. Tank has been up for over a year. He seemed ok this morning. He’s been hiding a lot since I got him but I figured that was normal since they like caves and hiding spots. He grazed and ate so I thought all was well.

OP
OP
Reefer87

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it really does, I really wanted a coral beauty and he is so pretty I want him to do well. I’m hoping he survives the night and maybe I can take him back to my lfs. See what they can do, I dunno.

Peter A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could also be the early stages of other disease like brook or velvet. Did you dip before placing them in the tank? You can do a formalin dip then a freshwater dip, could help clear the gills until you can get other meds or a hospital tank started. Is it wild caught or tank bred and raised? if wild could be cyanide poisoning after effects from collection, nothing to do except maybe a methylene blue dip and sodium thiosulphate. Is there or was there any copper in the tank ? Pigmy Angels are sensitive to copper.

OP
OP
Reefer87

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if he’s wild or captive bred. No copper has ever been in my tank. Could he have a swim bladder issue? Coz he can’t stay up right for long unless he’s leaning on something .

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if he’s wild or captive bred. No copper has ever been in my tank. Could he have a swim bladder issue? Coz he can’t stay up right for long unless he’s leaning on something .
Sorry, the fish is probably moribund (dying). Is it breathing fast? Anything more than about 120 gill beats per minute is too fast. What other fish are in the tank with it?
Jay

OP
OP
Reefer87

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got orange spotted goby, ruby finned fairy wrasse and 2 black ice clowns. The goby is new too and he’s perfectly fine sifting sand all day.
The beauty seems to be breathing fast but also cannot stay upright at all. I feel bad he’s struggling a lot to stay afloat. He keeps trying. should I take him out? Put him out of his misery? I’m sad about it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell you for certain what is going on with the angel, but in the video, it has pretty good coloration and isn't too thin. Here is a issue you may or may not have heard of: this is one of the species that is sometimes caught with sodium cyanide. A certain percentage of these fish die within 30 to 50 days of capture. Your store wouldn't know if this fish was collected that way or not, no way to tell, just the fish get weak and die.

Jay

MagicMiller72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new coral beauty who seems to be doing good and now he is acting like there is something wrong. Levels were fine and other fish are fine too. Now he is lethargic on the bottom corner and unresponsive to hand movements ....please help! Pardon the dirty tank glass.

image.jpg
546B74BA-344F-4EF5-8F51-B20B56B072AC.png
302E1A68-A9B2-4673-B4D6-9304F5B0E6B5.png
Are there white spots on him and is that a film on him as well? I was wondering if he may have touched an Anemone? If so, then he will have met a stung he might not survive. If it is another thing like ick or filmy skin disease, then you should QT if you can, or do a dip routine for several days and use some solutions to help rid him of any one of these types of diseases. That would be my recommendation for you

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I’ve got orange spotted goby, ruby finned fairy wrasse and 2 black ice clowns. The goby is new too and he’s perfectly fine sifting sand all day.
The beauty seems to be breathing fast but also cannot stay upright at all. I feel bad he’s struggling a lot to stay afloat. He keeps trying. should I take him out? Put him out of his misery? I’m sad about it
Any update

MagicMiller72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update
I had one that did the exact same thing and I used a copper bath and dip for him and he survived. But I recently had one in my newer 55 gal that ended up having milky skin disease which ce upon overnight and he was so bad off that even my treatments didn't help and he died. Try to put him in a QT with meds and see if he is strong enough to fight off the infection he has...I would take him out of the main tank so he isn't struggling to stay upright. The current might be too strong for his weak body. Make it as easy on him as possible. Low water movement, plenty of aeration in the water, and Meds. If he does in the main tank, not that big of a deal, but harder to find to remove and could cause an Ammonia spike depending on size of tank and number of inhabitants

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back