Coral colorup after shipment?

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased several corals online recently, and about half of them have browned out significantly. I was just wondering about how long it takes coral to color up after being shipped? The majority of my coral that have been in my tank have mostly great color, as well as some of the coral that I recently received through shipment. It's mostly the milis that I ordered that have browned out.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really does vary. Are the millies wild pieces? If so, they are sometimes much more sensitive to changing water conditions. If all of your other SPS are doing well with good coloration, I would assume that may be it.

holyscoly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
couple weeks huh please send me some of your liquid gold. i would say at least a couple months if a wild piece u never no goodluck.

markie mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some color up quick and some really slow...What I find really wild is the pieces that come in 1 color,brown out and then turn another color...I had an awesome table come in on a shipment a while back ago I decided to keep...It was a wild fiji piece..It was bright green with purple tips...It browned out in about 2 weeks,stayed brown for about a month and then turned hot pink..Like super hot pink,no contrasting colors but beautiful...Its really cool to see how these corals adapt to artifical everything...Not sure what makes the changes happen?I have a feeling the color change has a lot to do with lighting...From what I understand,most of the wild fiji stuff comes from very shallow water and they probably like a bunch of light...so the symbiotic algae changes color to suit its self for the correct lighting...

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to post a new thread about coloring up, So if I may, which direction (closer or farther from the light) do I move for it to color up better. Speaking of sps and lps. Like a normal green acro, do you think it would get more color closer to the light or farther and deeper in the water. Also like with a few favia I think they seem to get better color the deeper I put them, but im not sure. any suggestions

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to post a new thread about coloring up, So if I may, which direction (closer or farther from the light) do I move for it to color up better. Speaking of sps and lps. Like a normal green acro, do you think it would get more color closer to the light or farther and deeper in the water. Also like with a few favia I think they seem to get better color the deeper I put them, but im not sure. any suggestions

Great question I am also interested!

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A general way to tell if your sps needs less or more light is....if it has color but is pale looking then a little less light will give you a deeper richer color, if it's over all brown a little more light! I've found with a lot of my acros however that if I just place them where I want them and leave them alone they'll generally adapt and give their natural colors but there still is a general sweet spot not to little not to much light!
As for lps I've found that for a general lower light is always better however I have plenty of lps that will take more light than some of my highest light loving acros!

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 months if not more. Ive had a wild piece that ive had for 4 months and its just starting to show signs of coloring up. Yet its encrusted and growing new arms. zzzzzzzzzzzz

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back