OP
Fangs

Fangs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah.. PURPLE MONSTER.. Just the name triggers memories of the good old days of reefkeeping. It's a coral that maintains it's cult status, mainly due to the fact that SPS keepers are crazy gluttons for punishment, who relish an epic challenge. Myself included. I had seen a frag or two in MR tanks, years back. Remember the deep purple diminutive blobs, taking up a chunk of valuable real estate in those metal halide lit system of yore. I'd love to see a full grown colony, in person, some day.
I always love a good challenge, Ive had a couple of harder to keep corals like a frag of one of those new Malaysian speciosa. Was growing well up until a small box fish I had got Ill and passed while I was not around for a bit. Bombed the whole tank. But now hopefully I can start succeeding with this newer imported Purple monster looking coral.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my fault lol. I misread. What would you say based on the colonies you had was a defining feature of the OG?

It’s similar to a purple lokani but the growth is more “nubby”. It does not exactly table out when it grows large from the larger colonies that I’ve seen in person. It holds more of a melon cluster of branches shape. Excuse my scientific terminology. That unique growth, smooth skin, white polyps (most of the time) made it unique. Also, most of us killed after a while so we never got sick of it. It’s not like the tenuis of today lol.

When an older experienced sps reef keeper sees a purple monster they know it. Kind of like the pearlberry. The fakes are not the same. That’s about all I got on the topic. Oh, and it was a lot cheaper to acquire back then lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fangs

Fangs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s similar to a purple lokani but the growth is more “nubby”. It does not exactly table out when it grows large from the larger colonies that I’ve seen in person. It holds more of a melon cluster of branches shape. Excuse my scientific terminology. That unique growth, smooth skin, white polyps (most of the time) made it unique. Also, most of us killed after a while so we never got sick of it. It’s not like the tenuis of today lol.

When an older experienced sps reef keeper sees a purple monster they know it. Kind of like the pearlberry. The fakes are not the same. That’s about all I got on the topic. Oh, and it was a lot cheaper back then to acquire lol.
Thanks! Once I get the imported colony tomorrow I will take some initial pictures and post them here.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man I’m real excited to see.
I hope it’s freakin identical so this must have urge to acquire this relic leaves me.
That picture I posted on the first page is the only colony I know of personally in existence. That’s I’ve seen around in person I should say! I’m sure some old skool peeps like him have it hidden in their stash still.

OP
OP
Fangs

Fangs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That picture I posted on the first page is the only colony I know of personally in existence. That’s I’ve seen around in person I should say! I’m sure some old skool peeps like him have it hidden in their stash still.
Thats the only large colony I know of too from the OG. I wonder how Unique Corals colony is doing. And I am very excited to see whatever is being exported out of Solomon.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if Copps is still growing it?

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a PM in all of my tanks. I lost most of my pics before 2010, but here is a couple after. Like most sps the color and even polyps colors can change based on lighting and nutrient. You can even see that I turned base polyps green at some point with my nitrates creeping up high which did go back to white when I cleaned things up.I always gave it a ton of light, but it seemed to do better with higher nutrients with deeper color and way way faster growth. I got a 3/4” from Copps and grew it to a baseball size in 18 months in my last tank. Then I got to watch it die overnight lol. Sps suck sometimes lol

I’m gaining confidence in my new system so it’s almost time to place one in and start the process all over again :)
DSC_0025.jpeg IMG_2222.png IMG_1663.jpeg
Halides?

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All but one tank was halides. The lighter color one in the photo that I posted was a 30g nano an ati sunpower. It did ok in that tank but i starved it to death back then listening to BS advice of keeping low uln. Ended up with a zeovit looking tank lol.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefbum had some for sale in his last live sale. I’m not sure if he’s still selling any or not, but ask him for those that are interested.
I’m under the impression that part of the reason we do t see it much anymore, is because it’s so difficult to grow out.

Corey

Mike A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Onpointcorals.com has PM frags available from time to time as well.

OP
OP
Fangs

Fangs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the coral now. It’s a very nice purple and has the white polyps. Shape I think is too off to be a PM but it’s still a very nice Acro. I’ll post pics soon! The ones I’ve seen from Solomon have looked different but it could be just a flow thing of where it grew but I doubt it. But hey I’ll take another nice purple Acro any day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back