Purple monster Acropora information?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a local that states he has the OG PM. He sells frags of it for about $400-$500 each. I don’t know if @Battlecorals has the PM or not.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything it looks super similar. Ain't no way $600 is worth.

Geesh

We gotta stop paying the hype prices y'all.
PXL_20231230_185132380.jpg

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a guy named Eddie Hanson who I think was very influential in the hobby and he also had a version of the “Purple Monster” called “Eddie’s Purple Monster” that was a lighter purple overall but very beautiful as well. Eddie then moved to Bali and was responsible (I believe) for bringing blue LED lights to exporters and coral divers and that changed the hobby in such a way I think that it’s hard to calculate, yet it goes unnoticed. Eddie picked a lot of beautiful corals that were exported to the US and became famous in their own right. Anyhow, Eddie left the hobby years ago and now lives in Maine or Rhode Island about as far away as possible from the amazing corals he loved and brought to the hobby such a long time ago.

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m following along. I got a piece from a local reefer who had his colony verified from Steve Tyree. He got the colony from a tank tear down that was running for 20 years. Idk we’ll see.

His colony is the deep purple and white polyps. Mine looks more bluish now and I took this picture later when my schedule is more blue. Hopefully I can get it to purple up a bit

IMG_1553.jpeg

Last edited:

ttsBKLYNreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this was given to me as a small colony. I am unsure of the origins but suspect its not a PM. the deep purple is similar but the polyps are more brown than white. thoughts?

Danny McElroy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fascinated with all the old sps that were apart of the hobby for a very long time. I was wondering, has similar coral from the Solomon Islands been imported after the OG came in? I know when Jake Adam’s and Unique Corals went they got a colony, but have any known come in besides that time? I’ve seen Solomon coral being imported recently so was just curious. Any other information about the purple monster will be welcomed as well. Thanks everyone.
I have a look alike mini colony that is not the OG Tyree, but looks very similar that grows much faster than the OG version...

Attachments

• IMG_5252.jpeg
    IMG_5252.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5251.jpeg
    IMG_5251.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5250.jpeg
    IMG_5250.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 31

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a look alike mini colony that is not the OG Tyree, but looks very similar that grows much faster than the OG version...
It doesn’t look like an OG PM to me.. still a very nice purple acro tho. I think the dead giveaway when it comes to whether or not it’s a real Tyree PM is deff the growth rate.

Again, not to take away from what you have, cause it’s still a very nice acro that I would love to have a frag of.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back